Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,279   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wondering what the general opinion is on this offer of Durst equipment....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=29985

Thanks Annie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The Durst 138s is one of the best up to 5x7 enlargers ever made. I am waiting for the 3 for 1 offer for their Durst 184 if they got some. If you got the space you could set up all three enlargers to provide you with three different light source capabilities. Decadence in photography does exist. Oh, and if all is as advertised, the price is a bargain.
    Francesco

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have the nearly identical, but slightly larger, durst 184. While I've only had my 184 a short time, I really like it. The one on eBay looks to be a great deal with three lenses. You'll probably want to replace the glass in the negative carrier. I bought new glass from http://durst-pro-usa.com Three hundred dollars for shipping is fair. This is much larger than your average beseler.

Thanks for your answers. Just wondering one last thing... do you think all 3 could fit in the back of a pick-up?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If the pick up is big enough definitely.
    Francesco

Thanks Francesco... so it is safe to assume that if the pick-up is too small they will not fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have communicated with the seller and until this morning had contemplated driving from Kansas to Vancouver Island to buy the three enlargers and related for a price. After reviewing what enlargers of this make and model were bringing for sale used on the open market I decided against the venture.

By way of information if you are contemplating this purchase, the enlargers are 7 feet tall as they are assembled. The 138 S models weigh about 220 lbs each (somewhat more for the one with the "bells and whistles") The 139 weighs 645 lbs. These are used and anything with the name Durst is going to cost a ton for repair parts. The 139 is missing the baseboard/table. How much of the support that is needed is there is unknown at this point. The cost for a replacement baseboard for my Saunders 4550 VCCE was $450.00 I would guess that the replacement for the 139 is going to be multiples of that cost. The 138S that is the primary enlarger has 3 knobs that we know are broken. The shafts/weldments that these knobs were attached to are represented as being intact.

In addition to the weight considerations for shipping considerations, one should be aware of the bulk of the enlargers. The bases do not disassemble according to Durst. The columns separate to bring the 7 foot height to a more manageable height. The baseboards are large.

These are condensor enlargers and require printing filters for use with VC materials. These are excellent enlargers/probably the best made. They do not however have the benefit of the new lamp kit that Durst Pro/Jensen Enlarging Systems has developed. The new lamp kit is available to replace the opal lamp in these enlargers the cost from Durst Pro/Jensen Enlarging systems is above $850.00 each.

I wish those who may choose to purchase these good luck with the project.

Thank you very much for the benefit of your research... looks like I would have needed to borrow my neighbors horse trailer!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    The 138 S models weigh about 220 lbs each (somewhat more for the one with the "bells and whistles")
    Sounds about right.

I wish I had known this before I decided to carry mine up the stairs :wacko: ! I did get it up, but it was quite a fight...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin