Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,288   Online: 757

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Factory air I see. Looks like you're missing the optional chrome roof rack tho.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    To us D5500 aficionados them' fightin' words

Bob H
    I guess that depends on how you regard the Pacer. Me, I always thought they were strange but cool cars. Definitely not a great performer. Sort of in line with everything I've experienced with the d5500 head and controller. It seemed like every lab I've worked at has had a few of these heads, inoperable, half-gutted, lying in boxes. Closed-loop is compelling but only if it works. Aren't they notorious for shutter failures? Sporadic controllers? Bad electronics? Is the d5500 really an improvement of the time-honored chomega ii?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    It seemed like every lab I've worked at has had a few of these heads, inoperable, half-gutted, lying in boxes. Closed-loop is compelling but only if it works. Aren't they notorious for shutter failures? Sporadic controllers? Bad electronics? Is the d5500 really an improvement of the time-honored chomega ii?
    I have thought about this and this is my conclusion. When an 'Enlarger Company' makes a new enlarger, the R&D pretty much ends once its in production and they sell the same thing for years and years. This is actually a good thing because it means to be successful the have to get everything right the first time and also the long production run means parts accessories will be available (think D5, Chromega II and Besseler 45 etc.). However, once an 'Enlarger Company" gets in to closed-loop electronics you would have to keep up the R&D to keep up with the electronics industry. For example the D5500 has a port to connect to a Commodore 64. That system was still in place when they were selling new D5500s in the late 90s. From what I have seen, the electronics in those D5500s sold in the late 1990s were assembled from components they bought back in 1982 when it first went into production. I think that Enlarger Company philosophy of selling the exact same thing year-to-year without electronic upgrades lead to the problems that you have mentioned.

There actually are some good things to the 'outdated' electrical design. The circuits are on conventional PC boards with 'standard' DIP integrated circuits. Just about any contemporary electronic device today has a circuit board made with SMD components and these are nearly impossible to repair or modify. Also, the D5500s primitive origin means its circuit is less complex and easier to understand and troubleshoot.

If I were to use an automobile analogy, though, I would have compared the D5500 to something like the Bricklin or the DeLorean. I think you will agree that the D5500 was a pretty modern design for 1982.

Last edited by ic-racer; 03-13-2009 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am expecting the new components in the mail today. Here is the circuit board ready for the new stuff. That round component with ten legs is still in place. That is the $13 TRUE RMS converter and I won't take it out until I actually have the new one in my hand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    I guess that depends on how you regard the Pacer. Me, I always thought they were strange but cool cars. Definitely not a great performer. Sort of in line with everything I've experienced with the d5500 head and controller. It seemed like every lab I've worked at has had a few of these heads, inoperable, half-gutted, lying in boxes. Closed-loop is compelling but only if it works. Aren't they notorious for shutter failures? Sporadic controllers? Bad electronics? Is the d5500 really an improvement of the time-honored chomega ii?
    I liked the closed loop - it always worked for me without a problem. All it means is that the mixing box automatically compensates for the gradual changes in your lamp and filters and once in a while you zero out and re-calibrate. I have to say it worked very well for me from '86 when I bought it until the fire department hosed it down last year!:o And I always thought the D5500 was reliable

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ewww, while the bifurcated sockets are OK, machine pins are more reliable...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Agree. What I was thinking is that I have 4 of these boards and that in the future, component swapping for troubleshooting will be possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got all the new components on the board last night. I'm still waiting on a 14 pin socket, then I'll be set to try it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    I misunderstood this when I first read it. This is a machine pin socket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here it is, almost ready.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin