Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,176   Online: 683

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    OK Matt, ya got me. You are probably younger and your memory might be better.;-)

The big question here is still what does the backing paper say on the film that Walter23 asked about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When is doubt, keep lights out.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis in VT View Post
    A film this old would have to be orthochromatic. It should say so on the backing paper. If you do NOT see the word PAN on the paper I would assume it to be ortho which can be developed with a RED safelight.
    Good luck, this is the way I started probably around 1946. When EK changed the Verichrome to Verichrome PAN I had to get a tank.
    Heh, I hadn't even thought of that! Unfortunately I just looked at the reel, and it is Verichrome panchromatic. On the bright side it has development times (7 mins in D76. I have ID-11 which is pretty much the same formula, I hear, so...). Any adjustments to development recommended to deal with an old film like this?

And by the see-saw method, do you mean you hold each end of the film in each hand, and move your hands alternately up and down to "roll" the film through the tray of developer, back and forth, like someone handling one of those juggling balls on a string (diabolo I think they're called)?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, old photo books show it as a method. I would keep the 3 trays a couple of inches apart, and practice with either old film or a strip of adding machine paper (?) in the daylight first with plain water.

If you have a timer, perhaps you can surround the face with cardboard in such a way that its like a lens hood, so you can see it and it won't fog your film. Or count.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some old VP122. It is 92mm wide, as opposed to the 70mm wide 116/616. I used three small plastic pails with about 1 liter of liquid in each one and used the see-saw method to develop my film. It is a pain, but it does work. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when doing this process. Good luck.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have not had much luck with Ebay. I have managed to use a spiral from a Yankee (master II, I think) by sliding the adjustable half past all the grooves and using a rubber band around the end of the center piece to keep it from falling off. Also, a Patterson spiral can be extended with a 1 1/4" PVC sink drain extension cut to fit (the 1.25" drain extension fits between the halves of the Patterson almost like that's what it was designed for). Either works OK for roll of 616 or about 1/3 of a 70mm. If you have to buy something, make it Patterson - the Yankee tank pretty much sucks and will explode into many little bits of plastic with little provocation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local shop here in Minneapolis area has a 116/616 stainless steel Nikor reel in original box. Marked $10. If anyone wants, I will buy it and ship it (all at cost). I expect $15-16 for reel, sales tax, and priority mail shipping in US.

Or, if you prefer, store is National Camera Exchange in Golden Valley, MN. 877.600.4497
    Last edited by mgb74; 07-17-2009 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin