Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,131   Online: 852

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lets face it. You are GOING to have some amount of leaks or splashes or escape of fluids of some sort when you process film in tanks. Why not just set your tank in the sink, where any surplus fluid is easy to deal with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never had a real problem with Patersons. Although one the bottom snapped off - my fault, I was making really sure there were no air bubbles!. another one leaked because the body was cracked - my fault again, same thing. That one, however, I taped hard with electrical tape and used it for years. Andrew Moxon is right - they need to be "burped".

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of my system 4 tanks cracked. I fixed it with polystyrene cement. Seems to be ok now.

I tried sourcing a new stainless steel tank here in the UK. It is an unfortunate sign of the times that I can't find one..... Importing from the USA would cost me around UKP85 for a tank and 2 reels (from B&H), compared to about UKP20 for a paterson tank! The only new tanks I can find in the UK are the JOBO (~UKP30), the Paterson super 4, and a plastic Kinderman (~UKP15).

Thanks again for the comments...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    One of my system 4 tanks cracked. I fixed it with polystyrene cement. Seems to be ok now.

I tried sourcing a new stainless steel tank here in the UK. It is an unfortunate sign of the times that I can't find one..... Importing from the USA would cost me around UKP85 for a tank and 2 reels (from B&H), compared to about UKP20 for a paterson tank! The only new tanks I can find in the UK are the JOBO (~UKP30), the Paterson super 4, and a plastic Kinderman (~UKP15).

Thanks again for the comments...
    Did you try Calumet? They seem to have tanks on their UK website, although I only see 35mm reels.

Matt

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Did you try Calumet? They seem to have tanks on their UK website, although I only see 35mm reels.

Matt
    Yes, I did try them. Many places are still listing them on their web sites, but on enquiring it turns out they have been discontinued: due to the increase in you-know-what....
    Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hewes (in Bedfordshire - www.hewes.co.uk) will supply you with excellent SS reels for about £10 each if you contact them directly. They might also be able to tell you where you can find tanks. I suggest you also try Silverprint and Retro Photographic if you haven't already... (Retro certainly had SS tanks on their website when I last looked).
    I think it is worth persevering - in my opinion stainless steel tanks/reels are preferable to plastic ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might also be worthwhile to consider subscribing to APUG too - that way you can use the Want to Buy listings in the classifieds .

Matt

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is a bit old now, but just to update:- I eventually got another plastic tank (couldn't find SS) - Paterson Super 4 (as opposed to my old 'system 4'). The Super 4s are better designed than the system 4s,I think. So far, so good, 'burping' the tank I have not had any leaks. Thanks again for the comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried a battered "old" version of the Paterson tank, with small grey cap and large sealing flange thingy, in the darkroom at college nearly 30 years ago - it leaked. Therefore I then bought the "new" version of the Paterson tank, with the large black lid and no separate sealing flange and found that it didn't leak. That lasted a very long time and found it's way to my sister who also used it for years. I now have multi-roll Paterson tanks instead, but still the big-lid design.

The old and new designs are actually not even remotely the same and the newer version works fine without leaking in inversion agitation (when "burped", as someone mentioned earlier, using the sandwich-box seal method). The twiddle-stick agitator is a hangover from prehistoric bakelite tanks whose lids stayed on mainly through gravity and inertia. When twiddling, the outer bits of the film move at a higher speed than the inner parts, so results may well be irregular, unless you go crazy with it possibly.

PS. Good to hear, JDP
    Last edited by MartinP; 02-18-2010 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to be polite....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of my stainless tanks weep at least a little. In the labs (not photo) at work, we use 3M 33+ (a very soft, black electrical tape) to seal sieves when Ro-Tapping particles to various sizes. I decided to try it in the darkroom and haven't developed a tank without it since. It is soft enough to conform to the varying surfaces on my tanks and doesn't allow any fluids past the barrier. It also removes easily without residue.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin