Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,986   Online: 903

Images
    I recently moved my darkroom from the house to the 'studio', which is a detached building in the front of my house. Everything is working out fine, but when I'm in the darkroom, I'm detached from all mankind. This is good except that I have a couple of young kids and sometimes it would be nice to hear what is going on. Now, if I'm in the darkroom and they are out playing, a bomb could go off in the front yard and I wouldn't know. Or they could be burning the house down, or someone could come visit (rare since I live in the sticks) and I would never know. You get the idea. I have a phone connection, but no intercom.

Do any of you have similar setups? How did you solve the problem? Thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Radio Shack has some inexpensive audio monitors/intercoms which may be of benefit. I have used them in previous locations so my family could at least summon me to dinner (call me what you want but be sure to call me to dinner!)
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

You can get baby room monitors that are one way transmitters. You hear them but they don't hear you. They are available at most Wal-Mart/Target kinds of stores and for sure they could be found online. Under $20 too, what a deal! Just pick the place for the transmitter that will be the most advantageous for you to listen to while you print.
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Teach your kids who do process film and make them do it for you!

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can get some cheap closed circuit tv's with audio now. then you could see and hear them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happysnapper
    You can get baby room monitors that are one way transmitters. You hear them but they don't hear you. They are available at most Wal-Mart/Target kinds of stores and for sure they could be found online. Under $20 too, what a deal! Just pick the place for the transmitter that will be the most advantageous for you to listen to while you print.
    We actually have a two way baby monitor. We can hear whats going on in the room, and also use the walkie talkie function to talk back.
    hi!

Images
    The thing I thought so wonderful about the baby monitors we did have was that sometimes I could here the neighbors and no doubt they could hear us.

Wonder what they heard?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

I purchased a pair of FRS 2-way radios for CAD$75/pr from RadioShack. Great for camping to or going to a fair/amusement park to keep in touch with family members.

As a bonus, I take one down to my darkroom while my wife has the other. It doubles as our furnace/laundry room. If the furnace kicks in while my tray washer is running while my exhaust fan is blowing, I can't hear a thing from outside the darkroom door. At least this way my wife can get a hold of me if she needs to.

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~rogerpbird

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin