Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,007   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used the "filmlich" manuever ala Anscojohn, always works for me. The only thing I dont like is the taste of the film,
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you get the view finder with the GSN tele and wide lenses? By the way, I don't wind the leader all the way when I rewind. as soon as the tension is gone I stop rewinding.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always used a piece of scotch tape wrapped over the end of a piece of card stock with the sticky side facing out, or for that matter, double-sided tape.

I cut the card stock to be just a few mm less than the film can opening and about 4-5 inches long.

Holding onto the scotch tape, and pushing the card stock into the cannister and pulling the card stock gently out of the cannister always with the film leader attached.

Shooter
    35mm
    A stiff piece of tape is all you need. Feed the tape in and roll the film backwards with it a bit. You have to kind of rewind until you feel it "pop" around the exit ramp, then put the tape in. I even had a specific tape dispenser with a metal tongue to help feed into the canister when I used to work a 1-hour photo machine at a Walgreens.

I've had to do it at home or on the fly more than once. Tape will work there as well, assuming you can feed it past the opening (maybe fold it over itself for a couple of milimeters?). It takes a little practice and finesse, but it's the safest way ... meaning you don't get nasty chemicals on your tongue!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got one of those leader retrievers from a camera shop a long time ago, but I could never get it to work
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    It was a fine skill to learn. I had to learn it. You have to rewind the canister and pull more tape in sometimes (cover more surface area, create more friction) and sometimes you just had to rip the bas.... er... the "sucker" right out if the leader was catching on the inside of the ramp. It might take a few minutes of solid concentration to get it done, but you could do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a simple leader retriever with two metal tongues... Add some double sided tape in the inside and presto!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just used an unexposed strip of photo print paper cut to fit into canister applied plenty of spit,then rolled canister cog clockwise a bit until paper fed into canister the pulled out the leader.It took a couple attempts but finally worked,be patient.It save me a 36 exp. roll.YIPPEEE!!!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    In ye oldene dayz we would use the same approach as with a leader retriever; but we would take a fresh roll of film, wet the the leader on both sides by sticking it in the mouth, then push it in. Turning the problem film tight in the cartridge to make contact with the wet leader, waiting a coupla seconds, then pulling out. You would be amazed how often it would work, with most films, and with most sources of spit.
    john, hats off! a baby dinousaur myself, yet i never heard of this one. will save me precious ounces of luggage on my frequent travels

ps. hmmm... an idea for a thread? things you never ever needed yet wasted miletons (distance x weight) dragging with you everywhere...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin