Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,071   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Quick method to extract 35mm film leader

Not exactly darkroom equipment...

but I need to extract the film leader out of a film can and a retreiver is not really available. I have asked to a local lab for help but here everything is digital and the person behind the counter seems to want to "protect" me from my silly idea.

Do anyone know of a way to make a simple file leader retreiver, I only need to do one film..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

The quickest way would be to 1. Stop winding manually when you feel it come loose from the take p and 2. Consult manual for auto cameras, most have a setting to leave the leader out on rewind.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In ye oldene dayz we would use the same approach as with a leader retriever; but we would take a fresh roll of film, wet the the leader on both sides by sticking it in the mouth, then push it in. Turning the problem film tight in the cartridge to make contact with the wet leader, waiting a coupla seconds, then pulling out. You would be amazed how often it would work, with most films, and with most sources of spit.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The licking approach worked! Thanks! You learn something new everyday.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    In ye oldene dayz we would use the same approach as with a leader retriever; but we would take a fresh roll of film, wet the the leader on both sides by sticking it in the mouth, then push it in. Turning the problem film tight in the cartridge to make contact with the wet leader, waiting a coupla seconds, then pulling out. You would be amazed how often it would work, with most films, and with most sources of spit.
    Careful John: In this day and age you'll be getting a visit from the DEC, EPA, FDA - and probably the Anti-Terrorist Squad!!! (Do you know how to assume the position?)

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Careful John: In this day and age you'll be getting a visit from the DEC, EPA, FDA - and probably the Anti-Terrorist Squad!!! (Do you know how to assume the position?)

Bob H
    Schulz, Feldwebel, Nr. eins, zwei, drei, vier. I know NOTHINKKK!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    The licking approach worked! Thanks! You learn something new everyday.
    Hi Hamster,
    Sometimes pays to have a dinosaur around, eh what!?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Jawohl!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    AnscoJohn and Hamster
    Thank you so much as well - I managed it with some APS neg strip onto the 35mm spool leader and it worked after three goes - so very pleased but will buy a propriety one for the future,

Well now - New years eve 2010 you have given me something to do on new years day which is test two inherited cameras - my wife's father left me a 35mm Yashica ELECTRO GSN with both Tele and wide lens and in competition will be my dad's Konica AUTO S3 - I take it the former is aperture priority and the latter is shutter priority but both have fairly well regarded lense units - so as a reward for the most useful tip and brilliant question that got me sorted - I shall post the link on here next week on a side by side comparison (but a novice to boot)

Brian G
    Living in Bosnia and Herzegovina
    since Jan 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin