Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 825

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15192021222324252627 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    More than God —or Goddess— ever intended one human to ever own . . .

I hereby confess before you, my peers, that I am a compulsive enlarger buyer — or, sometimes, a ready and willing receiver of enlarger donations from fellow —or I should say, former!— printers who are curing themselves of the same disorder (aka: a "sucker"). This has of course been exacerbated by the drastic price drops in used enlargers that corresponded with the rise of digital photography. Not my fault.

My only reasonable explanation (or excuse) is that —as a former Durst tech rep— I know the quality behind certain enlargers. It's impossible for me to resist snapping up a Durst M605, complete and pristine, when it's only 40 euros, or when a friend tells me that he's about to throw out an enlarger and asks, "Do you want it?", I answer, "Certainly not I have too many as it is what kind is it?".
    Him: "A Focomat with the lens".
    Me: "I hate you for this when do you want me to drop by?"

Just last week I missed obtaining an 8x10 Kienzle which belonged to a famous French photographer. As I understand it, it was being given away (honest). But it went instead to another sucker. Whew! That was close. Anyway, I dont have anymore space in the kitchen for that! (...though, on second thought, with a high enough wattage lamp, perhaps I could've bake cookies in it).

But seriously, since I see a lot of young people walking around with film cameras at the moment (OK.. sometimes just as a fashion accessory!) I was thinking recently that it'd be a good idea to teach darkroom printing and —at the end of the course— include a small enlarger in the (low) price, as well as free follow-up advice. This would be to encourage these younger photographers to continue developing and printing at home...and maybe in a small way help preserve our craft and pass the torch along (as well as contribute to keeping film alive!).

Just an idea, for the moment ... Otherwise, it'll soon be "Swap Meet Heeere I come!" (cause I ain't got time for flea-bay).

Christopher
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 01-31-2013 at 12:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Oooooh... a Kienzle. mmm
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, personally, I wonder what happened to Enlzilla. The one bigger than my car that Sean got a hold of several years ago.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dang...we are about to toss out a Durst M605...so it goes

and, no, I can not sneak it out and give it to someone...it has a university property tag on it...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Dang...we are about to toss out a Durst M605...so it goes

and, no, I can not sneak it out and give it to someone...it has a university property tag on it...
    Always sad to hear these things; my college also "tossed" several 5x4 enlargers, rather than sell them. Even offered to buy them, but they refused and they were taken to the tip.

Never understand why educational/government institutes do this - surely some cash is better than none?

Thankfully their last clear-out went to auction, but anything that didn't sell - you guessed it, got dumped. Crazy - I would have happily taken the 10 6x7 enlargers off their hands, but they refused to sell to me; seems some rules aren't made to be flexible, rather idiocy reigns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dang
    I would have loved to get a M605 to replace my M600.
    Oh well, that would be a 6 hour drive to get up to Humbolt County. a bit too far to drive.

Although with proper disposal paperwork university (and company) equipment can be sold to others. But the beurocracy is what it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Always sad to hear these things; my college also "tossed" several 5x4 enlargers, rather than sell them. Even offered to buy them, but they refused and they were taken to the tip.

Never understand why educational/government institutes do this - surely some cash is better than none?

Thankfully their last clear-out went to auction, but anything that didn't sell - you guessed it, got dumped. Crazy - I would have happily taken the 10 6x7 enlargers off their hands, but they refused to sell to me; seems some rules aren't made to be flexible, rather idiocy reigns.
    Just because someone is educated, does not mean that they can figure out how to get out of a bed in the morning.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Omega D5 with a home-brewed LED head
    LPL 7700

I'm looking forward to buy a 8x10 enlarger (the smallest possible) but they are not very common here in New Zealand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Just because someone is educated, does not mean that they can figure out how to get out of a bed in the morning.
    Love it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Durst L1200, Leica V35, Leica 1C with Ilford MG head and a Beseler 23C, guess that makes four. Like to have a Leitz 11C, but too expensive, and nearly won an Agfa like Sean has but missed out, I believe that they are really good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin