Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,286   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

custom made 122 processing reel

Does anyone know of an individual or company that would be able to produce a processing reel and tank in the nikor design for 122 size film in Canada?I've only seen a 122 reel made by Nikor on Ebay 3 years ago but couldn't afford it at the time and I would prefer not to use the seesaw method of processing.

I realize this would cost a lot but since I have 3 good quality cameras that take this film along with about a dozen rolls of film,I think it would be worth it to see what the costs would be.The reel and tank would have to be made of stainless steel.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How wide is that film? Hewes might be willing but I can't imagine the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be better off by modifying a plastic reel.

Possibly make an extension piece or a new center-spool from a length of plastic plumbing pipe or plastic dowel.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    How wide is that film? Hewes might be willing but I can't imagine the cost.
    122, 118 and 125 were 3 1/4" wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So too wide for a 70mm reel. Too narrow for 90mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if a machine shop could cut a SS in half and add an welded extension in there. In my area, I found a shop that takes on unusual projects, the owner does it after hours, sort of his hobby.

Check locally, maybe you can find someone.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can modify a SS real as mentioned, a multi-reel tank can accommodate the reel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You may be better off by modifying a plastic reel.

Possibly make an extension piece or a new center-spool from a length of plastic plumbing pipe or plastic dowel.
    Cutting apart an existing stainless steel reel and extending it is a possibility, but I would expect to pay around $200 for the work.

My choice would be to modify a cheap plastic reel, as Nicholas suggests. You could do this work at home, with inexpensive parts from the home center. Even if you needed some custom machine work done on a plastic part, it would be much cheaper than working with the thin stainless wire.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was just examining one of my Jobo 35mm/120 reels and it really shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to convert it to 122 size.

You need saw, reel, glue and one extra center "pipe" of the tank. Cut the connecting piece from one the reel halfs. Glue this reel half directly to the center pipe. Take cutted part and glue it to the pipe at correct distance from the glued reel half. Done

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Cutting apart an existing stainless steel reel and extending it is a possibility, but I would expect to pay around $200 for the work.

My choice would be to modify a cheap plastic reel, as Nicholas suggests. You could do this work at home, with inexpensive parts from the home center. Even if you needed some custom machine work done on a plastic part, it would be much cheaper than working with the thin stainless wire.
    The normal charge would be high, what ever that would be. The shop that has helped in my projects would probably charge less than $20 but that is just a guess. The plastic you could do yourself, my only hesitation (if I were doing this) would be how well the adhesive keeps it together. But, with some experimenting, probably could find something that would work. In any case, best of luck to the OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin