Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,747   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd like to know if this would be useful in maintaining temperatures for my 8x10 sheet film chemistry, thanks!

click here for the link

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sean,

I would think that depends on how you intend to process the film.

If you are tray developing then it would seem to be of limited usefulness since a large portion of the chemistry in the tray is water and that would affect what temp that you are holding the chemistry at.

If you are planning on rotary processing, then yes it would be helpful.

If you are planning on tube processing as in BTZS tubes I would think that if would be limited in usefulness.

That is my opinion and it may not be shared by others.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I just use a $30 aquarium heater placed in a large tray of water.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have one that I am using right now for HOT water. I still have not run a power line to the hot water heater. So I have this thing I bought real cheap and use it for the hot water in the darkroom.

lee\c

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwtroxell
    I just use a $30 aquarium heater placed in a large tray of water.
    I've got the same thing, although my heater was closer to $15. it takes days for the temps to stabilize though.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I'd like to know if this would be useful in maintaining temperatures for my 8x10 sheet film chemistry, thanks!

click here for the link

Looks to me like it would be ideal for 35mm and roll film development. But it appears that a drum for an 8X10 neg would sit with most of the drum out of the tempered water bath. I further doubt the capacity of the containers is enough to process an 8X10 in a standing orientation.

I suggest you try and find a rotary device that will do it all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'll second the finding a rotary processor idea. However, I had great success with the fish tank heater method. The fish tank heater is kinda tricky though. I went through several until I figured out how to avoid the huge temperature flucuations. I ended up with the cheapest heater that the local petsmart had. My guess was that the more powerful heaters I had been purchasing couldn't turn on and off fast enough with my small volume of water. Thus, I suggest if you go this route, that you use exactly the volume of water suggested by the fish tank heater manufacturer. Getting the next size larger will kill fish and film.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    oh wait, I don't have one exactly like this one. Mine has only places for the bottles.

Sean,
    If you use PMK or Pyrocat-HD or ABC you just need to have tempered water to mix the chems right before you use them. PMK is 10ml A with 20ml B and 1000ml H2O. I just mix A and B at whatever temp with the correct temp of 1000ml H2O. The PMK developer cannot be stored already mixed as it has a short life after being mixed. I think this also applies to the other pyro developers but I am unclear on this and there are better people to ask than me.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can also put the tray in a larger tray filled with water slightly warmer than the desired temp.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin