Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,881   Online: 1148

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Slosher tray in the UK?

I'm getting into 4x5 sheet film processing at the moment and have done a bit of tray processing, just doing one sheet at a time though. I'm worried that processing more than one sheet in a stack will end in scratches on the film so slosher trays sound and look like a good alternative. The only place that seems to sell sloshers (that I can find) is Photographers' Formulary, as I'm based in the UK I was hoping that there was a shop over here selling them. Does anybody know of such a place?
    Rhys

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Having looked at the design of them, they don't look too difficult to make at home. A thin sheet of plastic from a local sign maker is all you'd need.

[edit] Found this thread and a link to a drawing

An alternative would be a Paterson Orbital tray - I've started using one for my 5x4, and find it much easier than a Combi-Plan tank or regular tray. The Patersons turn up fairly regularly on ebay, all be it at silly prices, and occasionally with the s/h camera dealers - I got one for free, and another with a motorised base for a fiver.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 06-15-2009 at 01:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: found a link to a previous thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the photographer's formulary slosher tray and have found it to be the simplest, most bullet proof way to develop 4x5 film. I've never had a single scratch or other developing problem from the first time I started using it. I hope you find a way to get one. All the best. Shawn

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shawn has it right!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can also learn to process 10 sheets of film in one batch with no scratches. Just takes practice. And, to confirm the others, a slosher is simple to make: 1/4" acrylic and the proper adhesive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a slosher from plexiglass that I purchased at a home center.

The glue I used to assemble the slosher is plexiglass cement - it was hard to find, but eventually I found a glass shop that carried it. It's basically a solvent that softens the mating surfaces and allows them to adhere. To use it, it is essential that the cuts be precise since the mating surfaces must be in intimate contact.

Here's a dimensioned drawing (inches - I'm a dinosaur) for a slosher that holds 6 sheets and fits in an 11x14" tray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slosher.jpg  
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks fairly easy to make. If I were doing this, I would add some sort of handle to each end so it can be moved around without getting your fingers in the developer..... Or am I missing something?

I probably won't make one though as I have a Paterson Orbital.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rhys, I recently been asking my self the very same question !

I've been using a Paterson Orbital for over 12 months and have finally concluded that it's been to problematic (for me) in that I've experienced too many uneven development/ streaking problems. It does seem to work well for others though so this might just be down to my method of using it and or the film/dev combinations I'm using.
    I decided to give open tray processing a go and again while others promote it and say it's easy with practice, I just got really frustrated with trying to control slippery sheets of film in the dark and ended up ruining some pretty decent negs with scratches etc.

I'd heard good things about sloshers so, with the help of an engineer friend set about making one from some acrylic ....... What an absolute joy it was !! So easy to use, even development and clean negs. It's still early days and I'll probably need to do alot more before I'm totally convinced but I'm hoping this is going to be the way forward for me now.

I'm going to PM you.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see there is also a guy in the UK selling these on eB*y - search for "slosher tray"

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin