Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,962   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saunders easel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Saunders easel

I have two Saunders easels, one is the 11x14 model with a lever on the left which locks the blades up and a 16x20 model which has a gas strut on the left.

The gas is gone and the strut is along for a free ride on the that easel. Does anyone know where I can get another strut for it?

I also had the cork fall off so I removed it and got some cork strips that are used in model railroading and put them on. They work great and are cheap.

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It was several years ago when I replaced mine. At that time I contacted Saunders and they have a replacement kit for the 16x20's gas filled strut system. This involves removing the strut assembly and instaling a system with a mechanical lever that keeps the blade assembly up. Easy to do and recommended.

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The strut went bad on my 16x20 so I took it off and hold the blades up with my chin while I load the paper..works great..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I scraped off the remains of the old cork and cut cork strips from floor insulation cork and glued them on the easel base.

Stee
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    chin... I lean over and use the top of my head to hold it up while I'm inserting paper in the 16x20. Fortunately my 11x14 still has a functioning arm. The head thing is just habit after all these years.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try an auto parts store. They stock generic gas struts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most automotive gas springs are meant for holding way more weight than an easel.
    Looks like you could likely find one at McMaster-Carr though; http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=2bzwal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was several years ago when I replaced mine. At that time I contacted Saunders and they have a replacement kit for the 16x20's gas filled strut system. This involves removing the strut assembly and instaling a system with a mechanical lever that keeps the blade assembly up. Easy to do and recommended.
    Thanks, that's a good idea, skip the strut and put in a mechanical lever, I like the on on my 11x14 so it should be easy to make one for the 16x. I couldn't find the "Saunders Group" on the net, they probably got bought out by someone else or whatever. I'll skip the McMaster Carr, I checked them this morning, $60.00 is toooo much.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    It appears that Saunders easels are now available through Tiffen.

http://www.tiffen.com/Saunders_Easels_Intro.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It appears that Saunders easels are now available through Tiffen.

http://www.tiffen.com/Saunders_Easels_Intro.htm
    This link appears to be on the Tiffen website however it doesn't provide any further info on price and availability. Moreover you cannot reach this page from within the Tiffen.com website so I emailed Tiffen and asked them to confirm and provide more details. Will report back.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin