Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Start dumpster diving. Eventually you'll find an Omega D2 or Dll free for the taking (it may take awhile) It will handle every format from Minox to 4x5.
    Step 1:Remove the D2 from the dumpster.
    Step 2:Leave the Voss lens in it's place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're gonna need a 75mm or an 80mm for your MF negs to get the perspective right. And good onya.

*happy dance*
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somehow I got sidetracked after starting this thread. I've been shooting, but wimping out by scanning the negatives instead of printing them.

Simon Galley was kind enough to send some literature on using multigrade papers, but if I'm understanding this enlarger properly it was never intended for use with contrast filters (am I mistaken?). Does this mean I need to pick up graded paper to start working with this?

I know it's years later and all but the distractions of 4 years ago are pretty well gone now. I'm ready to do this.
    Last edited by viridari; 03-23-2013 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im unaware of your specific enlarger but I'm sure if there is a will there is a way.
    You could explore using under the lens contrast filters like these by kodak
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_L3M0143.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	601.1 KB 
ID:	66183

The black metal thing to the left is the bracket that omega made to accommodate these type filters in the olden days.
    It attaches near the lens board on the enlarger and allows you to swing the filter in and out of the image path.

I used these filters for a year or two until I got a newer head that had a filter drawer.
    Now I have replaced that head for a Dichroic version so I can do RA4.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 03-23-2013 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The under the lens filters work very well - especially if you aren't switching lenses all the time.

A colour or variable contrast head is nice, but not absolutely necessary.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally think a condenser head is great for B&W.
    KISS
    Less things to go wrong vs. a color head with its power supply and internal filters, cams and gears. Especially if the manufacturer is out of the enlarger business, as is the case with Durst.

I've used VC filter all the time, and find them not to be a problem. The under lens setup the Bruce shows is even easier to use than dealing with a filter drawer.
    Granted the color head is more convenient to just dial in the filtration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    I personally think a condenser head is great for B&W.
    KISS
    Less things to go wrong vs. a color head with its power supply and internal filters, cams and gears. Especially if the manufacturer is out of the enlarger business, as is the case with Durst.

I've used VC filter all the time, and find them not to be a problem. The under lens setup the Bruce shows is even easier to use than dealing with a filter drawer.
    Granted the color head is more convenient to just dial in the filtration.
    I dont have enough use with the Dichro head yet to form an opinion but I agree with most of what your saying about the filters, gearing, voltage stabilizer etc. I did have to overhaul the head and source the mounting hardware which was a pita.

I have it set up pretty darn good if I do say so myself but it took awhile and I had to replace the entire bulb socket as these notoriously fail on the Omega Super (duper) Dichroic II. The entire process was a PITA but I made sure it was right.

That under the lens rig from the earlier D2/DII, did work well and I NEVER saw any image degradation but hey... I was green back then but I doubt you would notice any.

I can switch back to the DII condenser head if/when I abandon color work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin