Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,032   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sounds like a reasonable deal.
    You don't say which 12x16 Nova you have though, there are different models. If it's one of the heated ones you are really laugthing. If it's not the fiber version like I have I belive with care you can process 12x16 inch fiber paper in the others.
    Loads of safelights on e-bay.

Images
    Thanks for all your comments...just check, there is a temperature control with the Nova print processor.

Will be setting up the darkroom in the next couple of weeks....perhaps more problems will pop up.

I like this forum, everyone here is sooo helpful and knowledgeable.

Many thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If it has a temperature control then you really have got a bargin. Does it have 3 or 4 slots? The fiber version differs in that it has 4 slanting slots along with paper holders to support fiber paper, it's only been on the market a few years and is very rare secondhand.
    When I do big RC prints or fiber I set the temperature to maintain a dev temp of 20 degrees C. When I do 10x8 RC prints I go for a dev temp of 30 degrees C to speed things up a bit.
    Have fun.

Images
    Hi,

Checked the print processor....it is a Nova Quad,....4 slots. It is not possible to maintain the temperature at 20deg here. The ambient temperature is already 22 to 28 deg the whole year round. Maybe 30 deg would be feasible alternative.

BTW, I have heard a lot of discussions regarding RC and Fibre paper. What is the difference and how it will affect the final image?

Sorry for asking such a basic question.....still very green behind the ears.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You got an exceptional deal. It's an excellant processor. You can use the fourth slot either as a quick rinse or for two stage fixing.
    RC paper is resin coated paper, it has a plastic coating, this makes it much more resiliant and easier to handle. It is also much quicker to process and only needs a few minutes wash time.

Fiber paper is uncoated. For some reason it gives a bigger spread of tones and has more depth. Some fiber prints seem to have a jump into the picture look to them, where RC can look flat in comparision.
    Fiber paper is slow to process, fragile (as it soaks up the chemicals) and difficult to wash.

I do all my general 10x8 inch prints on RC paper. If I want stuff to add to my serious portfolio or for display I grit my teeth and get out the 12x16 inch fiber paper.

You also have a choice of VC or graded paper. Most folks go exclusively for VC these days.

Try to find as low a consitiant temp as you can for the fiber paper. You can lose a bit of the tonal spread if you increase the dev temp. The 12x16 RC paper I sonetimes use I also do at 20 degrees as it's difficult to get it quickly from slot to slot. The 10x8 RC is all done at 30 degrees C, 30second dev, 10 second stop, 15 second fix.

You can I belive get fiber paper through the quad with a little experimentation and care.

Oh and don't forget the selenium for finnishing your prints.

Images
    Thanks very much...really appreciate your input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin