Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 819

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New Incandescent Bulbs

I've read concerns about the disappearance of the old bulb due to the stricter new environmental laws in the EU, US and other countries, which might have an effect in the printing process.
    Well, Philips is trying hard to keep their business, so they made some upgrades:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/bu...ulbs.html?_r=1

The question thought still stands: Do we really need this type of lighting to continue with our printing?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been buying quite a few of these halogens-that-look-like-bulbs. They're common enough to be found in supermarkets here in the UK. They're pretty good and I like them because they're bright.
    Not sure how they'd be in enlargers because my enlarger already takes a halogen-type bulb (but the sock and pin kind).
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We certainly can't use compact fluorescent bulbs. They require minutes to warm up to full brightness, and don't have a full spectrum of light which creates issues with colour printing. Also, their lives are very short indeed when they are turned on and off frequently. I would wager that a good percentage of compact fluorescents used today are misused in places like bathrooms, pantries, etc. where bulbs are on and off quickly. (This is true of traditional fluorescents, too; they work best when they are on for a half hour or more each time they are turned on.)

These new halogen-incandescent cross bulbs are interesting, though. I don't see why they wouldn't work well. I think a person would have to reappraise filtration and exposure time, but they ought to work otherwise.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting bulbs...
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I have those in my bathroom. Bulb-in-a-bulb. I imagine the output spectrum is not that of a true blackbody, but peaked at certain spots because of the halogen-ness. Should work ok in an enlarger though.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Like Heather, I have used enlargers which operate with halogen bulbs. I do not see a problem.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AND, right when you switch a CFL or fluorescent tube on they suck more power than incandescent bulbs. I really hope that the standard bulbs stick around, because I print with a condenser enlarger and have no intention to ever switch. I did purchase 10 150W and 5 250W bulbs, just in case. That would give me plenty of time to find an alternative.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    We certainly can't use compact fluorescent bulbs. They require minutes to warm up to full brightness, and don't have a full spectrum of light which creates issues with colour printing. Also, their lives are very short indeed when they are turned on and off frequently. I would wager that a good percentage of compact fluorescents used today are misused in places like bathrooms, pantries, etc. where bulbs are on and off quickly. (This is true of traditional fluorescents, too; they work best when they are on for a half hour or more each time they are turned on.)

These new halogen-incandescent cross bulbs are interesting, though. I don't see why they wouldn't work well. I think a person would have to reappraise filtration and exposure time, but they ought to work otherwise.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm tempted to buy a cache of incandescent bulbs.

I know most people aren't big fans of taxation, but I think a better response to encourage the development of more efficient bulbs would be to tax inefficient ones (and put the tax revenues into lighting research, by all means). That would allow them to stay on the market but drive away all but the most ardent users.

I'm relieved to see some technological development here, though. Perhaps my fears of the bulbs being gone completely were unfounded.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

The complaint about incandescent light bulbs is almost amusing. The chief argument is their "efficiency;" they "waste" over 95 percent of their energy as heat. No more than 5 percent of the energy results in light.

To which I reply; "So?" Where are the light bulbs located? They are inside the house. Out here, we normally heat our houses. That energy converted to heat is not "lost;" it stays inside the house and helps also to warm the house. If anything, the major effect is to reduce the "on" cycle time of the heating system, but the overall energy consumed to keep the house inside temperature comfortable for us remains the same. I admit that in Arizona in the summertime, this effect may not be what you want, but up here in the Pacific Northwest, it does come in handy.

As others have pointed out, it may be time to get a few more lamps put away in reserve to keep the old condenser type enlargers going.

Regarding a comment in the New York Times article mentioned, Light Emitting Diodes (LED) are not yet used in "street lights," the high-power lights on poles that light up the roadway surface at night, but they are used in traffic signals at our intersections. In that application, the LED traffic signal displays reduced our electrical power consumption at our intersections by 90 percent. Over their expected lifetime, these traffic signal displays pay for themselves with the saving in electricity. There are some down side arguments to this, though. We no longer go out to each intersection once per year to perform routine maintenance and checking of the traffic signals. That was more than just changing the light bulbs. We also replaced broken parts, missing screws, tightened mounting hardware that loosens in the wind over months of constant vibration, and other things. That preventive maintenance is now lost. The functional reliability of our traffic signals is now somewhat less.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Regarding a comment in the New York Times article mentioned, Light Emitting Diodes (LED) are not yet used in "street lights," the high-power lights on poles that light up the roadway surface at night, but they are used in traffic signals at our intersections. In that application, the LED traffic signal displays reduced our electrical power consumption at our intersections by 90 percent. Over their expected lifetime, these traffic signal displays pay for themselves with the saving in electricity. There are some down side arguments to this, though. We no longer go out to each intersection once per year to perform routine maintenance and checking of the traffic signals. That was more than just changing the light bulbs. We also replaced broken parts, missing screws, tightened mounting hardware that loosens in the wind over months of constant vibration, and other things. That preventive maintenance is now lost. The functional reliability of our traffic signals is now somewhat less.
    Here in Minnesota where the winters are cold, the old style traffic lights with bulbs had enough heat in them to melt the snow off in the winter. The Light Emitting Diodes don't. So it may become a safety hazard in a snow storm unless they come up with a device to actually melt the snow.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin