Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,086   Online: 937

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    I think it has more to do with teachers not understanding f-stop printing and/or being unwilling to change from the way they've always done it. I have sold a few units to schools but I could count them on probably just one hand.
    Ansel Adams used a metronome. If it was good enough for him, it should be good enough for us.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a little off-topic, I suppose, and with apologies to Nicholas and Richard, but I don't at all understand why f-stop printing is considered so radical or exotic. It's the way I got taught years ago, and so it seems like forever that I've thought in those terms when printing. What other way is there to consider exposure times?

One of these days, soon I hope, Richard or Nicholas will be selling me a timer though.

I agree with John though, for most of us, new just doesn't make sense, with the volume of excellent gear that's available for pennies on the dollar.
    For institutions, I think new still makes sense if a darkroom is getting equipped all at once, assuming the money is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    It was, in fact, the monasteries, for the most part, that kept what knowledge there was in the West, alive during the Dark Ages.
    They kept it, but in a dormant state.

It was the Church's conviction that Armageddon was coming 'any day now' that kept the ages dark. Why bother doing much of anything when the Apocalypse is only days away.

But what do I know, I wasn't there ...
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 07-14-2009 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    St. Ansel used a metronome. If it was good enough for him, it should be good enough for us.
    "If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus and the twelve disciples, it is good enough for me."

--Talk-radio caller in Chatanooga, Tennessee, when a local denomination was debating using the "New Revised Bible".
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I don't at all understand why f-stop printing is considered so radical or exotic.
    Neither do I [or we, speaking for Richard].

I agree with so much used equipment available there is no real reason to buy new.

OTOH, try to buy a used f-stop timer ...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So true, Nicholas. All my gear is used, except for some trays I recently bought (the used ones were $2 more than a new set.) I'd love to get my hands on a used f-stop timer, but I have gathered from previous posts and discussions elsewhere, that anyone who purchases one of these falls in love with it immediately and never wants to part with it!

My local store has a goldmine of used gear, and I always check on a semi-weekly basis just in case they have a gem I really need.

- Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    OTOH, try to buy a used f-stop timer ...
    Precisely the reason I designed my own!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased my Meopta new in the summer of 2005, but I don't know when Meopta stopped production. A couple of the accessory boxes have 'Made in Czechoslovakia' imprinted on the box, although though the enlarger head is 'Made in Czech Republic'. Perhaps the situation is similar to ILFORD photo still printing www.ilford.com on boxes or sales of Meopta parts are in rather low figures.

Tom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin