Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,392   Online: 694

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Poor packaging. UPS should, could, deny the claim which throws it back onto the seller and the packaging. Bummer.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Now now Nicholas....buyers always pay what they think an item is worth....or at least they should, don't you agree? The market sets the price whether an item is new, use, at auction, etc. Ebay is no different, although I would agree that sometimes the excitement of bidding takes precedence over reality. Don't like what a camera costs....don't buy it until the price comes down, buy another, or pass...customers make such judgements everyday.

Stay well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Buyers always pay what they think an item is worth
    Yes, but in an auction, where no bidders have any privileged knowledge, the one who buys has an inflated idea of worth in relation to the other bidders.

The only rational reason for bidding at an auction is if all other bidders have an unreasonably low idea of the item's worth.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 07-15-2009 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that's a pic of how it was packed, I'd go to the seller or Paypal for refund or compensation .
    There's nowhere enough packing in that carton. There should be a good 3-4" of cushioning and at least two layers of cardboard on each side of the washer for reenforcement. I'm willing to wager as much as a nickel that UPS will deny that one.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If that's a pic of how it was packed, I'd go to the seller or Paypal for refund or compensation .
    There's nowhere enough packing in that carton. There should be a good 3-4" of cushioning and at least two layers of cardboard on each side of the washer for reenforcement. I'm willing to wager as much as a nickel that UPS will deny that one.
    I am not sure what you paid, but in my experience over the last 2 years, I had 3 packages arrived damaged, in all 3 cases the items were less then 500.00 and UPS told the seller to have me hold the box for inspection, I did for a period of about 90 days, UPS never showed up and paid the sellers within 30 days, of course the sellers paid me also.

As far as Paypal and eBay is concern, I had a bad experience, I purchased a lens, the seller, a so called photographer himself, just laid the lens in loose newspaper and shipped. It was moving around in the box. UPS even made a note about it, however I still accept the box(which I should have not) and discovered that the lens apparently was dropped. The filter attached was shattered and bent. The lens filter ring was bent slightly but repairable. Fortunately the lens was Ok, I still contacted the seller and griped and wanted to return it. He said AS-IS no returns, I said it was damaged do to your lack of his intelligence (not my exact words I was kind) in shipping. He would not budge, nor would he take the time to file a claim with UPS, said I could if I want, but of course UPS requires the seller to. Paypal said there was nothing I could do, his work against mind..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I will recover the cost probably from UPS as well as Paypal. Both acknowledge responsibility for payment.

In reality it's a booby prize: the 'winner' was the one willing to pay more than anyone else thought it was worth.
    Considering there was a reserve price that no one met and I was offered a second chance to buy it at the current bid which was less than the reserve, less than my top offer, and at about 1/3rd the cost of a new one, I do feel I was a winner. That is if it had not been broken in shipment. I have bought and sold quite a few items on Ebay and have only one other item broken in shipment and that was shipped from Canada to the US.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I won't list my washer because it is just too damn big and heavy.

I have three enlargers I want to sell as well but just don't want the hassle of shipping them.

Instead, they just sit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    I will recover the cost probably from UPS as well as Paypal. Both acknowledge responsibility for payment.
    You'll be reimbursed twice? Are you sure? In that case, I'd like to sign up for the same deal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jason,

It was my understanding from Paypal that their reimbursement was because the item arrived "not as described." The UPS reimbursement is for the damage in shipping. Two separate cases. It still will not cover the cost of replacing the washer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would never expect a large acrylic print washer to arrive safely through standard packaging, no matter how carefully it was wrapped. When I purchased my 20x24 Zone VI print-washer, I made a 12 hour round-trip drive in my car to get it. (Fortunately, the weather was beautiful and I love the Bay Area). The seller, a fellow APUGger would not have shipped it even if asked. Putting the washer on a pallet would be the next best thing to a personal pick-up but still risky. I would expect a full refund for the damaged item and FORGET trying to glue the thing back together! Try to buy locally next time- if you can.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin