Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,603   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

enlarger advice required

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an enlarger which can handle 120 / 5x4 film (colour, B&W as well as IR) / 10 x 8 film and plate. Currently I have some 9.5" glass I am experimenting with. Is there an enlarger available to handle each of those formats? Thanks for your time,

michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG

I'd suggest a De Vere 5108, with a Colour head, they are superb, the company (Odessey Sales) still makes & refurbishes them, so parts are available, and you can find them with all the neg carriers, lenses etc for around £600 $1000 second hand, in great condition. Mine will do 35mm to 10x8. They are LARGE.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

I'd suggest a De Vere 5108
    They are LARGE.

Ian
    I just saw one on ebay - definitely stuff for big boys
    My meopta looks like a toy after seeing this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian Hi!
    first thanks for the welcome, even though I've lurked for a while it's only now that the studio is being set up, hence the questions.

I have checked out the Odessey website and you're right, the DeVere is Large. I'm glad I have a concrete floor! It does seem to be the answer to my needs although the current price for a refurbished one is around the 2500 mark. I will first check to see if there is one on the second hand market in Australia otherwise it's sea freight time! Thanks for the advice! Regards

michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darko Hi!

which eBay? I checked the UK,US ones but only manuals and parts there.

Thanks for the heads up,

michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcolbert View Post
    Darko Hi!

which eBay? I checked the UK,US ones but only manuals and parts there.

Thanks for the heads up,

michael
    link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Now I see it is De Vere Devere 480, not 5108. my fault, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the UK one if you're in the UK, you need to hire a large van to collect, they do split but you need to know how as it's a messy job getiing the gear chains back in place if you do it wrong.

You also need to keep checking every few days, when I bought mine 4 years ago there were usually 20+ De Vere enlargers on Ebay UK at any one time, but ebay's not to good now for small sellers, it's worth asking around the pro-labs, many just get scrapped.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcolbert View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for an enlarger which can handle 120 / 5x4 film (colour, B&W as well as IR) / 10 x 8 film and plate. Currently I have some 9.5" glass I am experimenting with. Is there an enlarger available to handle each of those formats? Thanks for your time,

michael
    If you can afford to, you might get an enlarger that handles up to 5x4, and another for 10x8. you will spend less time seting up,as well as less chance of damaging pieces during swap outs of lenses and such. Smaller enlargers are dirt cheap,and that can get you going until you have a machine to handle the L.F. Of course, if you have the budget, get what you desire all at once.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darko Hi!

no problem, I'll keep the search going!

Thanks

michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rick Hi
    thanks for the suggestion, it certainly would be cheaper and faster to get one of the 'smaller' units but thinking about the convenience of an all in one enlarger in one place is pretty strong at the moment. I have already checked my local eBay and there is one on the other side of the country which I sent an enquiry about so more to find out tomorrow. I think that it would work out to be about 25% of the price of the 5108. As I say, more calls to be made tomorrow. Great suggestions guys, it is much appreciated.

michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin