Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,727   Online: 848

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    who are you talking to?
    Sorry, no offense, to you expert opinion on these enlargers!! I was referring to just the Ampilator which I misunderstood to be just the color head (yours is B&W right?).

I'd be intereste in seeing the innards of that color head .

Also, i'd like to see pictures of your (gandolif) enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I have made up my mind and have bought the IFF Ampliator enlarger. The Laborator is probably a safer choice when it comes to parts and support, but the Ampliator looks so exciting...

I contacted IFF today, and they told me that they have no parts or documentation for their enlargers, but suggested that I should contact Manfrotto, since they were their former owner. The are only manufacturing suspension systems for lightning and such these days.

I'll post some photos of it when I have it installed, including some of the innards of the color head ;-).

Trond
    Last edited by Trond; 07-24-2009 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your next task then shall be to find out what Ampliator means...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Your next task then shall be to find out what Ampliator means...
    Hm, good question. It seems like that they had the habit of putting funny names on their equipment, much like Durst. The condensors for the IFF Eurogon enlarger at least have names like Jota, Kappa, Sigma and Omega.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The word ampliator is latin:

Ampliator (one who increases the number, augmenter)
    - derived from the Latin word ampliare (enlarge, augment, intensify)
    -- derived from the Latin word amplus (great, large, spacious)

Found on http://www.myetymology.com/

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to let you know that you are not alone. I have an IFF Eurogon (takes 5x5"). I got it more or less by accident and right know it is lying on my living room floor. One colour head and one B/W. 500W in both versions.
    If anyone within traveling distance from southern Sweden always dreamed of owning an IFF feel free to contoct me. It is a good enlarger, but I have an DeVere 5108 that takes my 8x10" as well as 4x5" so I don't really need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The enlarger is now in the back of my car, and it's larger than I imagined. It's probably usable as it is, but it will take some work before it's ship shape. Will post photos soon.

Trond

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Anyone here who has used IFF enlargers? The model in question is Ampliator, and now I've got a photo of it.

Trond
    I use a IFF Eurogon, 9x12, a beauty named "Agathe". But I have no time to respond in detail ´til later tomorrow.

Just two short notes - there is not much to break with these enlargers, It takes Durst lens boards, the lamps are standard halogen bulbs, the scale illumination is made with standard 12V 5W-car bulbs.

And if you mount it, never release the stop without having installed the head first. The weight in the column would fall down and chances are you´ll be hurt.

Roman
    Last edited by rjr; 08-01-2009 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello,

I've just carried the Ampliator, in parts, up the stairs to our flat. The enlarger has been modified by the previous owner. The counterweight is placed outside the column, so it was very easy to disengage.

Attached is a digisnap of the enlarger and my son ;-).

Trond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT4316.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, that is your son. For a second there it looked like a real monster enlarger!

In case you have not seen it, I put together a whole thread on the repair and restoration of my L1840: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=l1840

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin