Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,264   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have examined the enlarger more closely. There is a bit rust here and there, but it doesn't seem to matter for the operation of the enlarger. It was very dirty, and I have cleaned the exterior and the inside of the colour head.

Some felt in the light traps will have to be replaced here and there.

The previous owner was obviously fond of tape, it will take some work to remove all of it from the baseboard.

The enlarger powers up fine and the fan, the lamps and the filters work fine. The fan is quite noisy though.

One interesting thing is that the colour head is located in the front of the enlarger. The large rear part of the head is actually a lamp house for when the enlarger is used with condensors. It contains a turret with three lamp sockets, one of them occupied by a large opal lamp. That part of the enlarger has probably never been used, and I don't have the condensors

Will post more photos later today.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In case you have not seen it, I put together a whole thread on the repair and restoration of my L1840: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=l1840
    Thanks for the link. Your enlarger is much more recent than mine, and even bigger. I think mine must be from the 70's, and it has seen a lot of use. Still in mechanically good shape though.

Trond

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Trond,

welcome to the exclusive club of IFF enlarger owners. Seems like all of them have gathered at APUG... all four or five of them

The enlarger powers up fine and the fan, the lamps and the filters work fine. The fan is quite noisy though.
    Mine was loud, too. Check it for misalignment, it might have turned in the spring-tensioned mount. But it will never whisper, I´m afraid.

Did you get the original transformator? Mine burned through some years ago, IIRC it wasn´t the core that was damaged but the wire clamps. A friend of mine rewired it completely and since then it works like a charm.

One other source of trouble is the illumination of the filter scales, the bulbs have a tendency to jump out of the socket.
    But be assured - as long as nothing is missing, you´ll never need spare parts for the IFF, since it´s not meant to break.

One interesting thing is that the colour head is located in the front of the enlarger. The large rear part of the head is actually a lamp house for when the enlarger is used with condensors.
    I alway wondered but never looked into it. Your son might have enough room to sit in there.

and I don't have the condensors
    But you got a light mixing chamber? I own three of them for the 12x12cm-type but I only use the largest box since it´s so bright and exposure times are still rather short with the 9x9-chamber. Replacing them with a DIY-kind is pretty simple.

I´m interested in close ups of the base board and the wall bracket mount. Agathe was delivered as a floor projecting enlarger to be mounted on rails, the base board would be a simple table placed under the lens. A friend of mine welded a steel table, we mounted a kitchen board as baseboard on it and clamped the enlarger onto it.

A price note - a few years ago IFF listed the price for the basic 12x12cm bw condensor model with ca. 5000EUR.

Wthat makes you think it´s from the 70s? Mine was built in 1995 -I talked to the original owner, a tiny italian who went and got it at the factory - and looks pretty much identical to yours, the only visible difference to me is the negative carrier.
    Last edited by rjr; 08-03-2009 at 09:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a IFF 4x5 enlarger with colour head. The head can be tilted to project horizontally or vertically. The heavy part is the column, around 40kgs. Easy to use. Opened the beast for a clean: its mostly wires going to the halogen lamps, so no real need for parts if something break down. Same for the power supply... Definitely built to last...
    Between the 4x5 and 5x7 enlargers, I would go for the biggest format. The reason being that my 4x5 automatically crops a bit of the 4x5 negative (maybe I do something wrong, but what can go wrong?). My guess is that the larger light source from a 5x7 enlarger will be beneficial on a 4x5 negative.
    You are in Oslo... Maybe we could meet sometimes...

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    >The reason being that my 4x5 automatically crops a bit of the 4x5 negative (maybe I do something wrong, but what can go wrong?

Perhaps because the head was made for 9x12 cm (plus a little bit of overhead)? That´s what is written on my Eurogon.

Roman
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rjr:
    I think I have the original power supply, works fine, so far. The lamp sockets for the scale illumination are empty, so I'll have to get new ones. I have three mixing chambers: 5x7", 6x9cm and 35mm. The 6x9cm and 35mm chambers have some scratches on the diffusors, but the diffusors are relatively far away from the actual negative, so I hope I doesn't matter. I have checked and cleaned the fan too, and it looks OK, so I suppose it's meant to be noisy...

The previous owner bought the enlarger from the original owner in 1990, he guessed it was from the 70's, but I don't know for sure. The orange colour and some of the typefaces used look very 70's to me...

I have attached some poor snaps of the enlarger, and also the baseboard.

calceman:
    Perphaps it's just the mixing chamber that's made for 9x12? Great that there is another IFF-owner here in Oslo! We should meet up at some point. A analogue gathering in Oslo soon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT4331.JPG   PICT4332.JPG   PICT4334.jpg   PICT4336.jpg   PICT4337.JPG  

PICT4339.JPG  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'll have a closer look at the mixing chamber now.
    The inside of your enlarger is very similar to mine, not much can go wrong in there.
    Better meet while its still warm outside...

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Trond,

I have no idea, what the english word for the lamps is - in German it is "Sofittenlampe", 12V, 5W, if I recall correctly.

Those:
    http://www2.westfalia.de/shops/autoz..._993_gd_92.htm

You may get them in any car parts dealership.

Apart from the faceplate and the negative holder, your Ampliator looks identical to my Eurogon. And the transformator is different, mine is a large black thing with vast aluminium coolers on the sides.

Roman
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Btw. the wall mount brackets are scrap metal now unfortunately. The photographer who owned the enlarger drove most of his darkroom equipment to the garbage dump when he closed his darkroom, and kept only the iron foot for the IFF-enlarger.

The enlarger also included 7 lenses. Two 210mm, one 135mm, two 80mm, one 75mm and one 50mm.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr View Post
    Trond,

I have no idea, what the english word for the lamps is - in German it is "Sofittenlampe", 12V, 5W, if I recall correctly.

Those:
    http://www2.westfalia.de/shops/autoz..._993_gd_92.htm

You may get them in any car parts dealership.

Apart from the faceplate and the negative holder, your Ampliator looks identical to my Eurogon. And the transformator is different, mine is a large black thing with vast aluminium coolers on the sides.

Roman
    Very similar: "soffit lamp" is one English name but more commonly known as a "festoon lamp".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin