Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,146   Posts: 1,613,895   Online: 1206

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

IFF 13x18cm or Durst Laborator 1200

I'm in the process of buying a large format enlarger, and had almost decided on a wall mounted Durst Laborator 1200 with color head and a range of lenses and mixing chambers for formats from 24x36mm to 4x5".

Now I'm also considering a floor standing IFF 13x18 color enlarger which also includes a full range of lenses and mixing chambers for all formats up to 13x18cm. This one is also half the price of the Durst. According to the seller, the IFF is very large and heavy. I just found out that the IFF can be wall mounted as well.

There is much information about Durst enlargers available, but I have found almost nothing about IFF enlargers.

Does someone here have experience with IFF enlargers? The only things I know is that they were very expensive, and made in Florence, which doesn't tell me very much.

I'll get more details about the IFF, model and what kind of lenses it includes, soon.

Thanks,
    Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone here who has used IFF enlargers? The model in question is Ampliator, and now I've got a photo of it.

Trond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13x18 forstørrer.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    we have got - as a present (!!) a huge Ampliator 13x18...
    I didn't realize it was an IFF (is yours from Firenze?... sorry - just read your post again..and you mention Florenze.)

if so - ours is - looking at your image - somewhat newer, but with a "normal" B/W head on it.
    it is HUGE and I think it weighs at least twice or the tripple of what a Durst 13x18 does!!
    Mounting that on a wall sounds crazy to me..

That said - it is a VERY easy enlarger to work with! The negative holder is much easier than the one on my Durst, and the focusing - changing of lenses - changing of condensors are all "fool proof"..

A joy to use!

PS: as an owner of both - I really like to work with the Durst, but must admit, the Ampliator is much easier...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I still find it incredible that equipment such as this can be had for free! I'll have to pay for this one, but considering what it probably cost when new, it's a giveaway.

Anyway, these enlargers were made by IFF (Industria Fotografica Firenze). The company still exists, and was until recently owned by Manfrotto. Their webpage, http://www.iff.it/ mentions nothing about enlargers, so I assume that they have been out of the enlarger business for some time.

The wall mount is no longer available, so it will have to stand on the floor. It includes 230, 135, 80mm lenses. Possibly a 50mm too.

Still waiting for more details and photos of the Laborator, I won't buy anything unless it's complete, so I haven't made up my mind just yet.

Good to hear from someone who is using one! It looks like a monster, good that it's a usable monster.

Thanks,
    Trond
    Last edited by Trond; 07-22-2009 at 05:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    yes - but Denmark IS strange this way!!

I just had to dump (!!) a Durst Laborator 138, as we have NO room for more big enlargers (except, if anyone would like to donate an 8x10"...). I used it mostly for spare parts..

So now we have the IFF and two well working Durat Laborator 138, and that is more than enough....

By the way; our IFF looks a little different than the one in your picture (maybe it is just the head).
    I'll go and take an image of it, if you want to compare...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, a photo of yours would be nice.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting enlarger. If you get it I suspect you will become the APUG 'resident expert' on these.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Interesting enlarger. If you get it I suspect you will become the APUG 'resident expert' on these.
    who are you talking to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    who are you talking to?
    He he, I suppose there will be two experts here if I decide to buy the IFF-enlarger. I'm quite a bit of a nerd when it comes to technical things.

Btw. the color head uses two 250W halogen lamps, and is according to the seller much brighter than a Laborator 1200 (he used to have one of those too).

I'm now leaning towards the Ampliator: it's obviously a high quality product, it can enlarge 5x7", it's located much closer and it's almost half the price. The downside is the availability of parts, but on the other hand it seems quite robust.

Trond

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where have the spares of IFF gone to?

That dichroitic head was designed for 2x 340W/36V lamps.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin