Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,338   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used lots of enlarging raptars, and they've generally been pretty good. I just lost a 75 or 80mm which I used regularly due to element separation. It worked great for a long time.

I am curious, though. Is there some reason why you need a raptar, in particular, instead of the many other lenses out there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Nikanon;

You did ask about the mounting for the Wollensak 135 mm, 150 mm (?), and 162 mm lenses. I do have two of those; the 135 mm f/4.5, and the 162 mm f/4.5.

In measuring my 135 mm Wollensak Enlarging Raptar, the mounting threads are 40.5 mm in diameter. I am not yet sure about the thread pitch, but it is close to 0.75 mm.

In looking at the 162 mm Wollensak Enlarging Anastigmat, the mounting threads are 50.7 mm in diameter. The thread pitch again seems to be about 0.75 mm. The interesting thing is the diameter, which is right at a nominal 2 inches in diameter.

That diameter makes me think that these mounts may be American threads, and not metric. At least the 2 inch one looks like it. The 40.5 mm for the smaller 135 mm lens is just about 1 and 19/32 inch for its equivalent American fractional inch mounting diameter, which is an unusual size even for us. It might be possible that it is intended to be a loose fit in a 1 and 5/8 inch diameter hole with a threaded ring to hold it in place from the other side of the mounting hole.

Perhaps someone with more experience can advise us of the mounts for Wollensak enlarging lenses.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ralph,

Given that these are rather old lenses made in Rochester -- before America even really heard there was a metric system, I suspect you are right about the threads. It also seems likely that if made today, they'd still be American threads, since now that we know about the metric system, we continue to ignore it. I asked a friend of mine who's a (now retired) physicist from NASA JPL about that. He informed me that they continue to use inches, etc. even up till then, which was about 6 years ago. I doubt it's changed. Maybe there's hope though. More lenses have adopted the LSM thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leica screw mount is only half metric. The thread diameter is 39mm, but the thread pitch is 26 threads per inch. I've read that this was used because it was a common microscope thread pitch, which E. Leitz made before cameras.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet keeping competitors parts from working had something to do with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Raptars that came with Omega enlargers were not bad lenses. The modern Rodagons and Componons and the EL-Nikkors may be a shade better. I don't know about the threads on the old Omegas, but I know that lens boards are available for them that accept the Leica threads that are more or less standard on modern enlarging lenses. Rather than specify the old lens, try shopping a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Nikanon;

Well, I was not able to find a Wollensak 150 mm enlarging lens, but there are Wollensak 135 mm f:4.5 Enlarging Raptars and Wollensak 162mm f:4.5 Enlarging Velostigmats. My calling the 162mm "Anastigmat" is an error.

What would you like?

If you still need one, contact me using the Private Message (PM) option and provide a mailing address.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (thread resurrection) LIVE!

I've got an Enlarging Raptar, 135mm f/4.5. Indeed, it uses a 40.5mm thread and I'm curious about getting a jam nut and/or lens board.

Anyone got a tip?

It might be cheaper to just buy another lens, but I'd like to explore this option first.

If a hardware store would having anything that would act as a jam nut, I'd take it and just make a lens board myself.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Wollensak 135/4.5 enlarging Raptar Anastigmat that is 39mm LTM. I like it for my 4x5, gave a Schneider Componon 150mm away that I didn't like as much. I have other Wollys that I prefer as well, especially a 90/4.5 that was designed to cover 6x9cm negatives. I actually have two of those, one came with a LTM adapter, and another that is new in the box unused.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See, that's what I thought. And so I ordered 39mm retaining rings and a 39mm lens board, but the lens won't fit in either accessory and so I popped out my calipers and sure enough, it's about 40.5mm in diamater.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin