Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,598   Online: 916

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Wollensak Raptar

i need a Wollensak Raptar lens, probably about 150 mm at least so i can print 4x5 negatives on my omega D2, are all wollensak raptars the same screw mount size? will i need a special lensboard for it? Mostly, where can i buy the lens i need other than ebay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Nikanon;

Let me give a guy a call. I know he had one, and he was trying to sell it. Let me see if he still has it. He was getting discouraged at not having any nibbles on it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That'd be fantastic if it's the right one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    i need a Wollensak Raptar lens, probably about 150 mm at least so i can print 4x5 negatives on my omega D2
    Any special reason for wanting a Raptar? And I take it you are looking for an "Enlarging Raptar". They also made a "Pro" series.

I think the standard focal lengths were 135mm and 162mm.

Not generally regarded as a very good lens - sample-to-sample variation is rather great with Raptars, so test or get return privileges.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not knowing much about enlarging raptars im trying to get one that wont give me abberations or falloff (i ususally use them at the smallest f-stop anyway so thats not much of a problem) i saw the 162mm online at places and it seemed in great condition and should be ok for darkroom work

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are you trying to save money? If so, a Raptar should do just fine. Just don't pay too much for one. If money isn't an issue you're better off with a Nikkor or Rodenstock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    Not knowing much about enlarging raptars im trying to get one that wont give me abberations or falloff (i ususally use them at the smallest f-stop anyway so thats not much of a problem)
    Unless you have some compelling reason, a Raptar should not be your first choice in an enlarging lens. You can find Rodenstock Rodagons, El-Nikkors and Schneider Componons selling for very little money - any of these lenses will serve you for a lifetime and supply you with performance that leaves nothing to be desired.

You should never use an enlarging lens at the smallest f-stop unless there are extenuating circumstances. Stop down 2 stops, 3 at the most.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a 162mm f/4.5 Enlarging Raptar...I don't use it much but, it is a very nice lens. Obviously, there is no comparison between it and the more modern offerings from Nikon, Schneider and Rodenstock...in fact, there's nothing quite like it. I had trouble finding a decent one. The first one looked like somebody had played Ice Hockey on the front element and the second had something growing in it. The third is pretty good. Always looking for a better one though! I didn't pay more than $10 for any one of them but...had to buy three to get a decent one...so, they aren't really cheap either.

I agree with the other posters. I would not recommend this as your only or first enlarger lens....if you need cheap, there are much better alternatives...look for a 135mm Rodenstock Omegaron (which I think is the same lens as the Rodenstock Rogonar-S).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an old 135mm Tominon lens on my Beseler 45m. It's in a Polaroid MP4 shutter which is not needed so I just set it to open. They were used on copy cameras and have a nice flat field for enlarging. Not the greatest but for 5 bucks well worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Nikanon;

Well, after a nice trip to Eastern Oregon for the SolWest Renewable Energy Fair (solar, wind, mini-hydro, bio-diesel, electric vehicles, and other things, www.solwest.org ), I am back at home with only a couple of glitches. The 2002 Subaru idler pulley bearing died and we lost the serpentine belt. Needed to be carried only 30 miles further to arrive back at home. Bought the parts yesterday, and the car is back in operation.

Bruce did call me back while I was gone, and he does have at least a 135 mm Wollensak Raptar. I admit that I did ask only about 135 mm or 150 mm. I will add 162 mm to the list. I will be down there this coming Friday morning to check with him.

There is also another shop I need to stop by. He is holding a pair of EL-Nikkors for me; 50 mm and 80 mm.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin