Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

what is a fair price

Someone is offering to sell me a Omega d5 Enlarger from a lab that is closing down it's optical work. What is a fair price for one of these in decent shape?

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What else comes with it? Lenses,carriers, timer, etc. If they are closing down the wet stuff there is probably a bunch of stuff you will need that could or should be thrown into the deal and that may end up costing you a bunch if you have to find it later. Even if you don't need the stuff you might find someone who needs it. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Pro-Lab that came with all the condenser lenses, three lens turret (with lenses), neg carriers, and an easel for a hundred bucks. I doubt they can sell it for more.
    I also once purchased a 5x7 Omega E5 enlarger, and that was $50 with two lenses, cones, bellows, two neg carriers, and everything working.

They are/were both in wonderful shape, and I believe it you get a lot of accessories anything beyond $200 in today's market is borderline silly.

Just my opinion.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two years ago I bought 5 omega d2's for $200, if that gives you an idea.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    Someone is offering to sell me a Omega d5 Enlarger from a lab that is closing down it's optical work. What is a fair price for one of these in decent shape?

D.
    Derek, that's how I got my D5 (w/ Dichroic ll lamp house). It came without the baseboard, without glass, and without any carriers. It came with the DD mixing chamber and a wall bracket.

The price was free. I wall mounted it and have since spent some green on a 3 lens turret, 3 Componon-S lenses, assorted carriers, Peak focuser, 16x20 & 20x24 4-blade easels, 2 Chromegatrol power supplies, and various odds and ends.

I also was so impressed with the old table-top for color work, I bought a 20" Hope processor. Much nicer, faster too!

I was so happy with that, I thought I might make good use of something a little nicer than my F5's, so I bought a Hasselblad, and then another.

I was so happy with the Hasselblad, I thought a 4x5 would be even better. It was! I just lucked into a 5x7 view camera kit (complete w/ two tripods, 10 mint holders, some very good glass, etc.

Now I'm looking for a 5x7 or 8x10 dichroic set-up.

The point I'm trying to illustrate is that if you have the disease, like many who frequent this forum do, even free will prove to be very expensive. Resistance is futile!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Derek,

If it has everything, $100. If it is just the enlarger, tell them you will take it off their hands for the price of coming to get it.

It's a good enlarger, but without the lensboards, timers, power supplies, lenses, neg carriers, don't waste your time.

cheers!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid $250 CDN (negotiated down from $350) for a D6 with three lenses on a turret, an Ilford Multigrade 400 head and controller, an unused variable condensor head, a few negative holders and a bunch of other useful stuff (including a 20x24 2 blade easel and the postcard paper that my most recent postcard exchange contribution was done on).

If the package (lenses, lens boards, light sources, power supplies, negative holders) fulfills your needs, it is a very valuable acquisition for you, so don't be too worried if you don't get the very best deal in the world. They are very good, reliable enlargers, and if you have one, you may very well be happy with it for the rest of your life.

You can buy them new still. After buying mine, I spent quite a lot of time thoroughly enjoying looking at what I paid vs. what B&H or Adorama wanted to charge me for essentially the same thing.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good deals are out there. I bought a Beseler 45M with all the neg carriers and lenses and more for $175 a few months ago. Ask the seller what he/she wants and bargain from there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I bought a Pro-Lab that came with all the condenser lenses, three lens turret (with lenses), neg carriers, and an easel for a hundred bucks. I doubt they can sell it for more.
    I also once purchased a 5x7 Omega E5 enlarger, and that was $50 with two lenses, cones, bellows, two neg carriers, and everything working.

They are/were both in wonderful shape, and I believe it you get a lot of accessories anything beyond $200 in today's market is borderline silly.

Just my opinion.

- Thomas
    ...and where, pray tell, is that 5x7 now?????
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a goner, I'm afraid. I was stupid enough to sell it. I got some good money for it. The first person that bought it took over a year to not collect it, he paid me $450 for it. I said that since it had been so long, I would charge him $450 for storage for a year and keep the money. They didn't seem to have a problem with that...
    Then I sold it again to somebody who wanted it shipped no matter what (it really was a fine enlarger). So they paid $350 plus $150 for disassembly and packaging, and then $500 for shipping it to somewhere I forget.
    So I got $950 out of something I paid $50 for. So in that respect it was a good deal, 1,800% profit margin. But I still wish I would have kept it. I wish I could now enlarge my 5x7 negs.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin