Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,803   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best new darkroom equipment: iPhone

I just wanted to tip people off about a gadget that's made my darkroom more enjoyable: the iPhone. I read e-books on it while waiting for the prints to develop. In the Barnes & Noble E-reader app, you can set the text color to red on a black background, for minimal light pollution. In the Kindle app, that's not possible, buy can at least set it to white on black, which should be fairly harmless unless you hold the phone right over your print.

The iPod Touch works just as well as the iPhone in this regard, and there are probably other smartphones that work well too, though not all have e-reading apps that let you set darkroom-safe backgrounds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can do the same with a computer monitor or TV screen by putting a sheet of rubylith over the screen.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

iphone - massive developing app

this app is simply wonderful.

its got most of teh massive dev chart combos and you can customize film/dev/tim/temp as well as agitation - great thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The iPhone portfolio, just using the image software that comes with the device, seems to have caught on particularly for photographers who are always looking for models.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any other suggestions for iPhone apps, like a developing timer, etc?

The App Store search function is pretty weak, and it seems like there must be some good photography-related stuff that I'm missing.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would suggest a talking countdown timer, if it's possible to write an app for that. I have two or three in my darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "Massive Development Chart" app is good. It costs a few dollars, but I found it to be indispensible yesterday and it was only my first day using it. Much more convenient than remembering to take a netbook to the darkroom
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't believe the Massive Dev Chart is available on the itunes store. That's great news. Even has a built-in timer.

Worth the $6 to me. Probably the best $6 I'll spend on the app store, everything else I've bought has been great for a few minutes then eventually loses its novelty pretty quickly.

I've been using a tea timer on my Centro since my dollar store timer broke. Now I can use my iTouch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to be of help I thought it was well worth the price too.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have become fond of using the Massive Development Chart on my iphone for developing film in trays. By turning the brightness all the way down, turning the display red in the MDC ap, and keeping the phone on the other side of the darkroom I am not worried about fogging the film.

But I was worried about an incoming phone call lighting up the screen, so I developed the habit of putting the phone in Do Not Disturb mode. So imagine my surprise when her call came through this morning while I was developing! Fortunately the brightness and distance factors worked in my favor.

Some research informs me that "Do Not Disturb" is not actually enabled unless the phone is locked, making it difficult to use the MDC timer. A little more research informs me that "Airplane Mode" might resolve this problem, since it prevents the phone, email, etc, from working but allows the use of other aps. Gotta test it out first, but anyone else have experience?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin