Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,097   Online: 998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens board isn't reversible, and if the lens was mounted on a flat board it would be impossible to focus. But the lens board doesn't have to be as deep as this one, it could perhaps be 1.5 - 2 cm shallower (I have tested). I have a feeling that lens boards for this enlarger are hard to come by, but I suppose I could get someone to make one.

I have attached a photo to illustrate how it's mounted.

Trond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT4368.JPG  
    Last edited by Trond; 08-07-2009 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added some details.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a longer (i.e. 135mm) lens. Then, if that doesn't work, given the price of good used enllargers I would relegate your "Ampilator" to the trash heap. It can't be any good since A) I never heard of it, and B) what ninny would build a machine requiring such an arrangement?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Is that not what you are essentially doing here? (in photo)
    I can state with almost certainty that no self respecting engineer would design a collar for an enlarging lens. Your assembly can not be correct.

Does your cone mount from the narrow end or the wide end?
    Every cone-lens extender I have used mounted to the enlarger at the wide end and the lens mounted to the cone at the narrow end (rear element towards the negative). It was an efficient way of putting some distance between the lens and negative without over-extending the bellows.

I think your cone is designed to mount a lens in the neighborhood of 360mm, minimizing bellows draw.

The wide flange of your cone probably fits the same slot as your three lens turret. Use one or the other?
    Apparently I was wrong, except the part about a self respecting engineer....
    From your picture, it would appear that you have one hell of a nice enlarger, albeit one designed with 5"x7" negatives in mind, not 6x6.

My advice would be to remove the 80mm lens, bend some 12 gauge copper wire in a forked loop that bends out of the way of the light path, slip the forks into the grooves on the aperture ring, and then tape the hell out of it. Then remount the lens.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, just glue a tab or two onto the aperture ring that extends downward slightly.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Apparently I was wrong, except the part about a self respecting engineer....
    From your picture, it would appear that you have one hell of a nice enlarger, albeit one designed with 5"x7" negatives in mind, not 6x6.

My advice would be to remove the 80mm lens, bend some 12 gauge copper wire in a forked loop that bends out of the way of the light path, slip the forks into the grooves on the aperture ring, and then tape the hell out of it. Then remount the lens.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have lots of great suggestions and ideas to play with now.

I will have to agree with you about the engineer part, but I have a very strong suspicion that the board is partly home made, and not an original recessed IFF board. The previous owner is a hobby mechanic, and it's quite possible that he made the board himself out of bit and pieces he had available. But he could at least avoided making it so deep.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are lucky to have recieved that lens mount with your enlarger! I'm still looking for the Durst equivelant ( LARATUB ) to use an 80mm on my Durst. I'd probably just set it at F8 or F11 and keep it there.

I have a mount almost that deep to use a 25mm on my 4x5 enlarger. But my 25mm is a very tiny lens and I can get my fingers around the aperture ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Trond;

Ic-Racer mentioned the Durst People and their lens systems. Back in the 1960's they had a sheet metal clamp that went around the aperture control ring of a 50mm lens (Schneider Componon-S 50mm f:4.0) and it had a long tab that hung down from one side. The lens was screwed into a recessed lens board (the IXOTUB for the Durst 606) and the lens was adjusted using this little lever or tab that hung down from the lens inside the recessed lens board. I cannot remember the name or the Durst nomenclature for this accessory.

It should be possible to make something like this out of sheet metal, brass or perhaps mild steel, and a small screw and nut.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old thread, but I have now found a satisfactory solution. A friend of mine, who is a hobby woodworker, made a tool for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verktoy3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	60634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verktoy2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	60635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verktoy1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	60633

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice solution!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin