Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,487   Online: 823

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Data for Ilford MG 500 HLZ enlarger head

Getting my new( old) enlarger this weekend, I found out that it have a HLZ heda for Ilford on it, not just a normal 500 H head but a HLZ.
    The enlarger is a Leitz IC with this Ilford Multigrade 500 HLZ head on, any of you got som data on that head? I'm told it uses 80W bulb but can,t find anything about it.

Jesper

eager to try this new thing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is an HLZ?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well should be at special version for som small enlarger, getteing it on sunday then I can post some pictures.

Jesper

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The HLZ is basically an ilford 500 head that was dedicated to the Focomat Ic. The bulbs are indeed 80 watt. The physical dimensions are quite a bit smaller than a regular "H" head and it does not have a cooling fan built in (probably one of the reasons that they went w/ lower wattage bulbs). Packaged together with the IC frame/chassis it makes a great 35mm enlarger (it is pretty hard to beat). The only questionable item is the Ilford adapter used to attach it to the enlarger chassis - it is made of flimsy plastic (I doubt that it would ever break in normal use, but it is pretty cheesy).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Would it be possible to post a picture of the head please?
    Just out of interest, I have never seen one of these before

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ilford MG 500HLZ pictures

Finaly I got it home and put up, eager to work with it.
    Shot some pictures of it.

Jesper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0350.JPG   DSCN0351.JPG   DSCN0352.JPG  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hello Jesper, that looks fine! I didn't know a head like this was made, thanks for the pictures.
    Indeed without ventilationfans as DAP said. That's not bad you know, one of my MG500-heads develloped an unbalance, and that means vibrations.
    Enjoy the beautiful enlarger :-)

Thierry

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Jesper, Congrats on the purchase. These seem to be really hard to find (MUCH harder to find than the regular 500h head - I assume that they didn't make that many of the HLZs) so you did good! I actually have two of these...they fall into the "pry from my cold dead hands" category. I would argue that the focomat 1c with the HLZ head might be one of the most user friendly B+W 35mm format enlargers you will ever find. Enjoy!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin