Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,063   Online: 812

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nalgene labware bottles work as well as glass for storing photographic chemicals. A whole lot better if you happen to drop the bottle.

There is no reason to use brown glass if you store the chemicals in the darkroom or in a closed cupboard or box - it being dark in there just about all of the time. A cheap alternative, though not pretty, is to wrap the bottle in black plastic from a garbage bag.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Images

Brown bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    I'm looking for sources for brown glass jugs that would be suitable for use as developer and fixer storage in my darkroom. Beer bottles are not really acceptable, and I remember seeing brown gallon jugs somewhere, sometime in my past. But I can't seem to find any for sale. Can anyone help, point out a source, etc.?

I would prefer glass to brown plastic.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack
    I got mine here. freundcontainer.com Lots of choices and sizes.
    JOHN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best and safest ones are the plastic coated Boston rounds. Shop around and you will find some inexpensive ones in various sizes and with a choice of lid material.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use old Mississippi Mud jugs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    At my university (and really any university or college with any bio/physics/chem/engineering departments) we routinely discard big brown bottles, typically 1 or 5 or 10L. They are most typically used for high vapor-pressure solvents such as acetone, isopropanol, methanol and other alcohols, so they are very easily cleaned. Smaller bottles of nastier organic substances should be avoided, but the alcohol bottles are ideal.... and usually free to a good home. Typically, if I walk down the halls by the labs I can pick up a dozen of them at a time. I take a cautious whiff to be sure nothing was mixed in (don't ever trust labels!) and take what I like. Why not recycle?!

P.S. C'ville isn't that far from Dillwyn...
    Keith,

next time I'm in Charlottesville I'll give you a heads-up and collect a few of these discards....

Hope all is well,
    John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    I'm looking for sources for brown glass jugs that would be suitable for use as developer and fixer storage in my darkroom. Beer bottles are not really acceptable, and I remember seeing brown gallon jugs somewhere, sometime in my past. But I can't seem to find any for sale. Can anyone help, point out a source, etc.?

I would prefer glass to brown plastic.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack
    Stephen, I am curious, are you going to us Nitrogen gas or marbles or? for the developer (to purge the air)?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APUG sponsors Photographers' Formulary and Bostick & Sullivan have amber glass bottles. B&H carries them too.

-Laura

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've ordered Boston Rounds from Specialty Bottle (be sure to get the polyseal caps), very reasonable and quick shipping.

I have also ordered amber wine bottles so I can use a VacuSeal with them:
    http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/ .

Both highly recommended.

JT

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Most cities have a chemical supply company that carries things like that--- yes homebrewing stores are a good option also-- My regular place http://www.capitolscientific.com/ seriously changed after 9-11, and no longer has a "store" but I can still amble up to the dock at the place and buy quarts of acids and reagents without any real issue. -- I have had to sign a few extra documents for some of the really fun stuff, but I can still buy it.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, why not beer bottles, as BetterSense suggests? I like the idea of smaller size. I use a set of old Pinch scotch (I've moved up to single malt since then) bottles for print developer because I like the shape and permanent plastic top, but the idea of the permanent clip stopper sounds good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin