Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,796   Online: 785

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I ordered multiple sizes of amber bottles with screw-on plastic tops from Photographer's Forumulary a long time ago and they are superb!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May I suggest that you use clear glass bottles or clear thick plastic? If kept in a dark or dim space that is cool, this is as good as brown glass or plastic bottles.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    I'm looking for sources for brown glass jugs that would be suitable for use as developer and fixer storage in my darkroom. Beer bottles are not really acceptable, and I remember seeing brown gallon jugs somewhere, sometime in my past. But I can't seem to find any for sale. Can anyone help, point out a source, etc.?
    What you need is a bottle designed to keep oxygen out. At least one industry has centuries of experience with this -- the wine industry.

What I use is old wine bottles -- just about any restaurant comes up with a bunch of empties every night. I find the 1.5 liter size especially useful, but I really like the new 1.0 liter size. Keeps the math simple.

With the wine bottles I use the Vacu Vin system to seal the bottle and pull a vacuum over the chems. Storing the chems in a thick glass bottle under vacuum is hard to beat.

Recommended shelf life of XTOL stock is supposedly six months. I easily get 12 months from XTOL stock stored using the above system. Just sayin'.

As for fixer. Unless you are using the hardener for some reason, I suggest making up fixer as you need it from concentrate instead of making and storing a stock solution. Fixer stock dies a horrible death of crystalization and it makes it nearly impossible to get the containers clean afterwords. Making working solution from concentrate just requires a small graduate. Again, just sayin'.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    I'm looking for sources for brown glass jugs that would be suitable for use as developer and fixer storage in my darkroom. Beer bottles are not really acceptable, and I remember seeing brown gallon jugs somewhere, sometime in my past. But I can't seem to find any for sale. Can anyone help, point out a source, etc.?

I would prefer glass to brown plastic.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack
    I bought 1 gal. brown glass jugs with excellent screw tops from Freund Container...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another source for brown bottles, with high quality polycone caps is:

http://www.techcheminc.com/

They also have raw chemicals, photo grade, just like the big sky people...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have bought mine from a few sources - an environmental testing chemical supplier - wide mouth with steel lid and good gasket. I use these for dry chems like developing agent that can oxidiase off, and tend to store them in the freezer. I let them warm to room temperature before openning.

Formulary a case of - 125mL
    Essential Oil Supplier - 250mL and 1L, as well as some empty 500mL units that once held essential oils. A strong sulfuric acid rinse cleaned them out.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    May I suggest that you use clear glass bottles or clear thick plastic? If kept in a dark or dim space that is cool, this is as good as brown glass or plastic bottles.

PE
    Just curious, how long does does it take for light exposure to have a measurable effect on the chemical mixes (those that are light sensitive)?

I am guessing that light intensity matters so the questing would be for what you might find when room light is on in a darkroom.

What chemical mixes are light sensitive, developer, stop, fix, color chemicals?
    Last edited by fotch; 08-19-2009 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clairity
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is actually no photochemical reaction that I am aware of in any solution. At Kodak, we used clear glass bottles with cork or rubber stoppers. The bottles were 1 gallon or larger and were stored on open shelves under fluorescent lighting. So truth to tell, IDK why there is such a fuss about brown bottles.

However, some light has a lot of UV and many organic chemicals decompose quickly with UV. So, if daylight is a main light source in your room, then by all means go to brown bottles to filter the UV, as that is what they do for the most part.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks to all of you who took the trouble to reply to my post!

With best regards,

Stephen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin