Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,460   Online: 933

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in your position. I shoot 35, 6x7 and 4x5. So naturally I wanted an enlarger that does all of those. Hard to come by on a budget. Accidentally I found a 35mm enlarger for free, with some papers too. It's a durst B30. Ok, but not more. I think there are lots of enlargers like this given away. Usually in the local paper ads. That's how I found mine at least.

Still don't know where to go from there. My current plan is to build my own enlarger head, with a lensboard. And use the focusing rack from the B30. But I think I will mount it on a bigger baseboard, and add something that adds height to the column, so I can get bigger prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    Yes, Durst enlarger could be a viable solution - there are quite some on german eBay. However - they come in different models (mean the 6xx) with different heads so it is for me hard to judge what accessories should come along (apart from lenses) such that one can start in either 35mm or 6x6.

As most of them seem to have a color head - do theses need different condensers for different formats, or do the color head work on a different principle ... ?
    Colour heads are usually diffusion light sources, so you don't need different or movable condensers to switch film formats.

For some colour heads, you can replace the "diffusion chamber" with a smaller or larger one. This allows you to match the chamber to the film size. The purpose of doing so is to shorten exposure times when you are using smaller films.

In any case, if you have the "diffusion chamber" that works with your largest film size, it will work well with smaller film sizes too.

Different manufacturers have different names for the diffusion chambers.

I don't have any Durst equipment, and haven't used Durst equipment for 30+ years, so you should look further for Durst specific answers, including whether the Durst equipment you are interested in has the ability to switch diffusion chambers.

Good luck and have fun!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I bought my enlarger with will handle 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5 I was shooting 35mm film. I have since added MF cameras and do a lot of 6x6 enlargements too. Some time in the future I many get into the 4x5s. The enlarger is a color enlarger so it has built-in filters and a diffuser. I have not printed color yet, but I use the filters on the variable contrast papers.

I noted at the time I was shopping that the color 4x5 enlargers were going for less, typically, then MF and 35mm enlargers. I encourage you to get a color enlarger that can handle from 35mm through 4x5 so that you have a future growth path if you choose to use it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Omega C330 - pretty nifty and light. Lovin mine
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started to think more seriously also about the Meopta Opemus models (5, 6, 7) - and then come across THIS one. It is on the pricey side, but seem to contain all the necessary accessories including the color head. I only do not know whether the negative holder (as show in the picture) is suitable for 24x36 (or 6x4.5) too - or only for 6x6 ... ?

So - any experience on the Opemus models would be appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's a 6x6 glass carrier and if you look at the sides of it's handle, you'll see two things that control the masking blades. There two more at the right side of the carrier. You can crop the image as you wish with them but if you need something more permanent with a 6x4,5 frame you'll need to replace part of the carrier. I don't know if the carriers between Opemus 5 and 6 are interchangeable, but there are lots of parts for the 6 variant. If they are, you'll probably need an "Einlegemaske 4,5X6", which has the two metal frames. In case you want to keep some of the glass (for flatness), you can remove the lower one and replace it with the 6x45 mask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Durst 606 for a while. Great enlarger, well built and compact. Size matters. The larger the unit, the more stable it will be.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin