Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,544   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarger - second thoughts (35mm or 6x6/6x7)

Hello,

more than a year after I started to consider getting an enlarger here I am again. Meanwhile we moved into a rather small flat what implies some limitations. Still - the kitchen size should allow me to give some darkroom activities a chance - say prints up to 8x10 or so.

So - the plan is to look for a 35mm OR 6x6/6x7 enlarger. I would go for a 35mm model only if it should be considerably smaller then a 6x6/6x7 model.

Currently I shoot 35mm (a bit, but more is planned) , 6x6 (quite a bit) and 4x5 (less than I would like to). As I do not plan larger than 8x10 prints and given the space conditions the 4x5 for the near future out of question - this leaves the two smaller formats as candidates for enlarging.

I want to do ONLY B&W - on multi contrast baryt/fiber papers. I will also do 4x5 contact printing and want to use the enlarger as a light source.

Given on what I have read I would prefer an enlarger with a diffused light source.

The question is:

Which enlarger is stable, reasonably compact (or easy to take apart), but still align-able. Also if some spare parts (bulbs etc) are necessary - for which models there is a chance to find some (and where)

Should you have some particular model in mind - please do mention what accessories it should come along. I know there is lot of small stuff one needs to actually do something.

thank you in advance

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    First thing that comes to my mind: Rollei RDE.
    Make shure that the negative carriers are with it and the power supply (basicly a transformer).

I have one in Holland, waiting for me to come back and start working with it.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As long roll film is involved: Dunco II 67 (Dunco Berlin) but if you also want to do 4x5" I should make a choice on Kienzle (Germany).
    They make all kind of enlargers even over 8x10" format if you want. Further the support of both companies is excellent.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered placing the enlarger on a cart [trolley] that can be placed out of the way? That way you may be able to have an enlarger that can enlarge 6x6s and 4x5s.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you're in Germany, stick with the ones mentioned above. Durst is a very compact device in the 600 series(6X6) I think they're also small relative to other comparable brands in the 800 series.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If space is a problem, the small Durst F 60 will work very well. You can use it for 35, 6x6 or 645.
    It makes prints on the base up to 11x14. Larger prints (16x20 or 20x24) can be made by floor or wall projection.
    It is sturdy and simple but of very good quality. It is designed to be taken apart in less than a minute and will not to take up much space when stored.
    Since it is a condensor unit, the quality of light can be altered by placing a simple diffusion sheet of plastic or glass in the filter drawer.
    Don,t let the small size of the F 60 fool you. With a quality lens it is capable of doing excellent work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Peter -
    I do not seem to be able to find much information on the Rollei RDE - would you be so kind to share some or even post a few comments once yours arrives?

- Robert -
    No 4x5 enlarging planned - the tools are way too large - even if I would put the enlarger on a trolley - I have no place for that either.

I will check out the Durst models - both the F60 and the 600 models - should I prefer some against others? Are there any caveats I should be aware of?

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Till 6x6 (cm) the Durst M605 is a very good and reliable enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Dursts. The small 'amateur' models, like the 606 and x60's were made to be taken apart quickly and stowed in a kitchen drawer. The '3' series 35mm enlargers were really tiny. These enlargers had a large quick release knob securing the post to the baseboard.

Look on ebay for an idea of the models of older Durst enlargers.

If you get a Durst make sure it comes with a complete set of negative holders and lens boards.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Durst enlarger could be a viable solution - there are quite some on german eBay. However - they come in different models (mean the 6xx) with different heads so it is for me hard to judge what accessories should come along (apart from lenses) such that one can start in either 35mm or 6x6.

As most of them seem to have a color head - do theses need different condensers for different formats, or do the color head work on a different principle ... ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin