Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,928   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Attaching rubber tubing to faucets?

I'm actually getting to the point in my yearlong (and then some) darkroom sink project that I'm thinking about where the water actually comes out the faucets.
    I have some "Y" faucets that have threaded ends and are normally used for garden hoses. I'm now wondering how some of you have attached rubber tubing to those ends. Or even options other than rubber tubing.

Thanks,

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about washing machine hoses....... They just a short version of a garden hose. Repair fittings are available to make your own too. Home Depot or Lowes comes to mind.

bill
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just used a reduction fitting with a nipple at the end of it. Then used a hose clamp to keep the tubing on the nipple. Not super pretty but functional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are so many ways, it would be worth taking a trip to a hardware store. Note! The big box stores may have similar items however, your more likely to find someone knowledgeable at a old fashion type hardware store.

Basically, you will look for a threaded hose adapter that allows for a size (several different size are available) of rubber or plastic hose to be clamped to it. Does that make sense?

Good Luck
    Last edited by fotch; 08-19-2009 at 03:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spell error
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unscrew the aireator from the faucet, if it has one. Take the threaded portion to your hardware store or home center, and generally they will have adaptors that will provide a hose thread. Another similar option is to get a portable dishwasher hose adaptor, or quick-disconnect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's a darkroom, can you use English please, attaching a rubber pipe to a tap is rather easy.

On the other hand if you want faucet I'll come "force t" somewhere else but you might not enjoy it

Ian.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get an adapter from a garden hose fitting to standard pipe thread, and from pipe thread to a hose barb for rubber tubing.

I posted a photo in this post. Here I'm going from a shower to a Delta 1 temperature gauge, which ends in a hose fitting, and from that I've got a 4-hose manifold with different sized tubing fittings for different purposes (garden hose for washing trays and filling things, print washer, film washer, and small hose as a rinse for local bleaching and other finer tasks)--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...tml#post667266
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    it's a darkroom, can you use English please, attaching a rubber pipe to a tap is rather easy.

On the other hand if you want faucet I'll come "force t" somewhere else but you might not enjoy it

Ian.
    Someone is a bit touchy today, aren't we?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are really desperate, an option for a DIY connection is the following:

Self amalgamating plastic tape (also called SAP tape) is a product usually used for high voltage electrical insulation. There are liner and linerless (think of things like separator sheets between dry mount tissue) versions made. Home Depot sells a linerless version.

You unpeel a length from the rolll, stretch it moderately to activate it, and then wind it on. After a few minutes it totally fuses into one piece of rubber.

It is soft, so I have reinforced it with fibreglass backed packing tape, and then wound another layer of SAP on to keep the fibreglass dry.

Then I fit a worm gear hose clamp to fit the 'hose adapter' to the faucet bib. I have used this method to fit a kodak tray syphon to a bathtub filler many years ago. I made a form out of a plastic pop bottle top taper and regular vinyl electrical tape to wind the first layer of SAP on.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi alan

you can find what is called a "barbed push on adapter"
    probably at a place that sells plumbing supplies near you
    i just googled the terms : hose fitting + adapter ...
    and found nice ones that cost about $2
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/Barbed---P...000000829.HTML

granted brass is probably overkill
    so one near you will have very inexpensive plastic ones
    i think i found one near me for about 40¢ a few years ago
    you might be able to find one with a thermometer fitting
    so you can have your water temp right there ..
    i have one like that and it is great ...

good luck!
    john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin