Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,034   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Jobo ATL-1000 won't heat

I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for fixing my processor.

I have a 110v ATL-1000 which does not seem to heat the water bath. If I warm the water bath to temp externally, the process runs. If I don't, it just sits there forever rotating the drum and neither heating anything nor starting the first step in the process.

I tested the terminals on the heater element and they seem OK, 17 ohms from memory.

Does anyone have a Jobo schematic, or any handy troubleshooting info for what might be causing this?

Thanks!

- Angus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a manual for the ATL 1500 which applies for a large part the ATL 1000. Do you have this manual yourself already. I can sent it to you , if you want. There is a small section dedicated to appliance troubles.

Heating up water with my ATL 1000 for the first step in the process can take up to 35 minutes by the way.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You have to supply heated/tempered water to the machine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks willem. I emailed Jobo, and they kindly sent me a copy of the ATL-1500 service manual - it has the disassembly procedures, test procedures for the 1500 and schematics for both. Is that the one you mean?

I've waited a long time, but it's definitely not heating. I have a power usage meter that shows it never uses more than 50W of power, so the heater element is definitely not coming on.

It seems to sense the temperature fine, because if I give it 38 degree water then it will start (and then the water bath slowly gets cooler as the process runs. Eek!)

eclarke, I know I need to provide tempered rinse water, but AFAIK the unit it still supposed to be able to heat the water bath and maintain its temperature. Mine doesn't do that. .

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a theory. There's a part inside the case that looks a bit like a fridge thermostat, with two heavy duty electrical connections. It was showing open circuit when I tested it.

The service manual talks about a "temperature limiter", and the schematic seems to show it needs to be closed in order for the heater to power up. So I think it might be that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for any sort of thermal fuse or circuit breaker. it sounds like you may have found the part.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh wow, I can't believe how simple this turned out to be.

The "fridge thermostat thing" was indeed a thermal circuit breaker. I pulled it out and was looking at it when I noticed it had a big button on top of it. Press the button, breaker resets and goes close circuit. Reinstalled, and I have a heater! A test process is running now.

Jobo's manual only mentions this in vague passing, so I've attached a photo of where you can find it. It's directly under the control head, so you'll need to pull that off to access it. However, you don't need to remove anything else - you can just press the button on top. Make sure you unplug from the mains before doing anything (obviously.)

Please excuse camera phone quality. .

PS This link is now the first hit for "JOBO ATL-1000 manual" on google, instead of Jobo's actual user manual. How amusing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thermal cutoff.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now I remember. This thing can be tripped by running the unit dry, or other iniquities. I remember having to reset it on my ATL-1000; I haven't had to do it yet on my 1500.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to see it working again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for posting this. I just got an ATL1000 of ebay and it had this issue. You saved me quite a bit of headache.

Quote Originally Posted by angusgr View Post
    Oh wow, I can't believe how simple this turned out to be.

The "fridge thermostat thing" was indeed a thermal circuit breaker. I pulled it out and was looking at it when I noticed it had a big button on top of it. Press the button, breaker resets and goes close circuit. Reinstalled, and I have a heater! A test process is running now.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin