Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,218   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De Vere 303?

Shooter
    Medium Format

De Vere 303?

I believe I have a De Vere 303 Professional, though I haven't managed to check the number on my way through the garage recently.
    I bought it about 15 years ago second hand, and used it to print some family 6X9 negatives from the 1930's.
    Now I'm getting into film photography again I'd like to know more about it.
    Does anyone have any knowledge?

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a 203

Excellent enlargers
    built like a Rolls Royce, it's the baby brother of my 5108 (10"x8") enlarger. You can't find better.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, it's much older than the 203 I think. Same structure, but the head is about 50 years earlier, I guess. I'll have to get a photo of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the older enlarger. (One on the right). But if your's has a condeser head it makes it look older than you think.

If it's a geared column more like a Durst or the current De Vere's it's a 203, however if it's tubular column it's the much older model, they changed mid 60's I think. I had a 54a built originally for the navy.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's more like it! But mine has two columns and a chain between them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They changed the system on the older 54's so may well have done the same with the smaller version, I have two De Vere adverts 1954 & 61 here on the desk but the small enlarger's not listed. They weren't as common as the 54's.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a De Vere 302 Professional with a Vericon 32 condensor. Has anyone heard of it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An APUG member has one with a colour head, John Roberts.

De Vere had big government contracts supplying the Army, Navy & Airforce, but the 54/54a was much more common. You'd probably find more details in a BJP advert from the 50's/60's, the company was the major UK producer of professional enlargers. There's also a Varycon head for the 54/54a you alter the position to suit the format being used.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a 302 cold light enlarger when I lived in England. It was the bench mount with the head and focus controlled via the two wheels on the front just below the table. It was a solid performer, but you need a stabilized power supply to get best use out of it. Not tried the condenser version.

A.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin