Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,508   Online: 982

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    (it just won't be sitting flat on the rollers, or properly immersed in the water bath.)

Jobo's I.E. the tanks must be dead level at all times. If moved, the machine must be leveled before each use. The water level is determinant to the processes working properly. Correct levels of processing chems is variable by tank size, and critical. The system and the timing of the processes is dependent on the tanks which are supplied are being used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred De Van View Post
    There would be no reason to inquire since it is a question which has no reason to arise.
    What a strange thing to say. The question clearly has arisen for me. Granted, my circumstances are probably unique. As it says in the thread, I bought the processor from a now-defunct camera store on the other side of the world. The manager got it wrong, and I didn't do enough research to know that, but I can't do much about that now.

I bought the processor cheap because they were clearing all their darkroom equipment. It was built in 1993, and I have no idea who owned it before the store. At any rate, it seems I will never know where the original tanks are.

I can certainly buy new 25xx series tanks, but with reels and shipping that will at least double the cost of my setup. Maybe I'll find something used, but maybe I won't. So I'm interested in alternatives, even unorthodox ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fred, thanks for the comments on levels & volumes. If I modify the rollers I should be able to get a 15xx tank to be level. I'll look into the differences between the ATL times and the recommended times for other rotary processors & tank combinations.

Mike, thanks for measuring your tank for me. .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The tanks are fairly reasonable and very available on that auction site and should be cheaper than trying to kludge a 1500 to work sucessfully. What processes are you going to use the ATL for.

It would cost more in film and chems to experiment with 1500, than a auction 2500 tank with reels will costs. I use my machine for E-6 and I am sure the small reel and limited chem levels would present problems. The auction prices are a percentage of the listed price which nobody ever paid anyway. Jobo marketing was based on all the free stuff they gave you when you bought a new machine. The list prices are a hoax.

Read the tech data on how the machine works and you will see why Jobo specifies that what you are attempting to do, will not work. Its a fascinating machine and the JOBO guys got it figured out really well.

Shooter
    35mm
    The tanks are fairly reasonable and very available on that auction site
    Living in Australia, items are not as plentifully available. Many US sellers either don't ship internationally or charge massive amounts to do it. I haven't seen anything suitable going yet, but I'm definitely going to keep a look out.

What processes are you going to use the ATL for.
    Starting with C41 in 35mm & 120, although I have some E6 floating around and my local lab just closed up so I might buy an E6 kit as well, if only to develop those.

I do B&W by hand at the moment, not planning to switch over.

Read the tech data on how the machine works and you will see why Jobo specifies that what you are attempting to do, will not work.
    Well, I've been trying to. The CPE-2 manual specifies the same times and rotation speed for both 1500 and 2500 tanks. The quantities of chemicals for 1500 tanks in rotary applications are available, I just need to measure them into the ATL bottles.

The only technical obstacles I can find so far are keeping the tank flat on the rollers and immersed 1-1.5cm into the water bath. If there are others, I'm definitely keen to hear them. ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    angusgr

take a look at this, what this does is enable you to process things on a table top. "Ahh but i've got a processor" I hear you say well what i'm thinking is this is designed to take both film tanks and print tanks. You do this by turning the rollers around. The white roller is held in place on the black stem type thingy this can be pulled up and turnned around to accept a different size tank. If it can be done on this base why can't it be done in the base of your processor? it's the way i used to do film and print in my old CPE2, rollers in one possition for one type of tank rollers in the other way for the other tank. Or put another way the rollers point in or out depending on the size of your tank.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Combo.html

David

PS sorry about the ashes

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks David.

Unfortunately, I have hit a showstopper for this modification. The ATL is too well designed to allow the water bath to go much deeper. There's an overflow drain, designed to save the day if the float switch fails. It looks like it's designed to stop the bath level from covering both the drain hose grommet and the float switch pivot, each of which looks waterproof but probably not watertight.

So, the amount of re-engineering is probably not worth it. . Back to "that auction site" to wait it out...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out eBay.de too. Tanks and reels turn up quite often there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin