Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,598   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lns

Shooter
    Multi Format

Washing RC Prints Without Running Water

How can I wash RC prints without running water?

I just set up a portable darkroom in a small basement bathroom. There is no bath, however, for washing the prints. There is a tiny sink, but it is not big enough for even 8x10 prints. A print washer is not possible right now, due to the lack of budget, plumbing and space.

So I started off by washing my prints, two at a time, in a tray using a fill and dump method. I put the prints in a tray of water, agitated a bit, changed the water and repeated it. I did this for 5 minutes total, with 3 changes of water.

Can I cut the wash time down to 2 minutes, which I know is enough for RC paper in running water? Or is there any other method that works?

Thanks very much for your help.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd think you would need more than three changes of water in 5 minutes. Can you just drop the prints into a bucket of water and then when you've finished your printing session take them elsewhere to wash them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    take them elsewhere to wash them?
    That is what I do. I put the tray of prints with a Kodak siphon in the bathtub.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does your bathroom have a porcelain appliance on the floor with water in it?
    I'm not suggesting that you put your prints in the crapper, just in the tank. Take the lid off the reservoir. Minor mineral deposits can be removed using a brush (don't use the one already in the bathroom). Put the prints in the tank. Agitate once in a while. Flush to change the water.

I'd expect to set prints in with a curled edge down, so they stand up in the water.
    Last edited by Dave Pritchard; 08-27-2009 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added a line

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do your prints come out already toned??

Sorry! Couldn't helpt it! I swear!
    I brake for fixer!

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks very much for all your thoughts.

1. I am trying to avoid the washing elsewhere option. The only tubs in the house are on the second floor, but the darkroom is in the basement. The real problem is, I don't think I can leave RC prints in a hold tank or bucket for hours, and then just wash them in a big batch. Can I? Ilford's RC processing instructions say to avoid wet times exceeding 15 minutes. Assuming that's overly cautious, how much time can I safely hold them in water?

2. Cool idea about the toilet tank; I never would have thought of that. I'll check it out. There's not much access to the toilet tank, because I put the enlarger on a table on top of the toilet seat, and the toilet is set into a niche. But it's a really nifty idea.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

I have about the same problem, and I have opted for washing RC prints afterwards somewhere else in the house (actually one floor lower). In my experience it is no problem to leave the prints for 1,5 or 2 hours in a waterbath (a wide bucket in my case) with any negative effects. When you keep them there for a longer time however, they tend to get curled corners that stay even when dry. How about doing a test for a period of more hours? I might try it myself one of these days.
    Hans
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    35mm
    I throw my prints in a tray of water. When there gets to be a lot of them in there I go rinse them off for a few seconds and hang them up. This might not be enough washing, but most of them get canned anyway
    f/22 and be there.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

I have about the same problem, and I have opted for washing RC prints afterwards somewhere else in the house (actually one floor lower). In my experience it is no problem to leave the prints for 1,5 or 2 hours in a waterbath (a wide bucket in my case) with any negative effects. When you keep them there for a longer time however, they tend to get curled corners that stay even when dry. How about doing a test for a period of more hours? I might try it myself one of these days.
    Hans
    I do know a guy who left RC paper in water overnight by mistake. He returned to find the images had floated off the paper.

I really appreciate hearing that a holding tank/bucket should be okay for two hours. That's great.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    I've left Illford MG RC in a tray overnight, and it didn't separate or anything. The dilute fixer mixed in bleached the image slightly, but it needed to be lighter anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin