Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,332   Online: 1191

View Poll Results: Do you use a Sqeegee on your negs?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 15.91%
  • Somtimes

14 7.95%
  • No

130 73.86%
  • A what?

4 2.27%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Never a squeegee. Photoflow and a wrung out sponge from both sides of the neg simultaneously while the neg hangs from clips.

Mainly to keep the floor drier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The poll should have been divided into using PhotoFlo or an equivalent and then squeegee or no squeegee. Followed by not using PhotoFlo or an equivalent and then squeegee or no squeegee.

Without that distinction, the results look like film that was not in hypo long enough to clear the negative.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope, don't let nuffink near my moist emulsion! Film gets a final wash in RO water, then straight in to the drying cabinet.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE]Photoflow and a wrung out sponge from both sides of the neg simultaneously while the neg hangs from clips.
    [QUOTE]
    Isn't this the same as squeegeeing? Just a thought.

I have always squeegeed my film with a pre-moistened sponge squeegee (Yankee)after using Photo-Flo for 2 minutes. I have yet (40 years) to get any scratches from the sponge. I do soak the sponge squeegee for 10-15 minutes first. I tried the rubber bladed kind once for only 1 roll, threw that piece'o'crap in the trash. I do use a hardening fixer. My film dries faster and cleaner.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to but I finally figured out how photoflo works
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I squeege roll film with fingers wet with fotoflo to remove the suds.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by randyB View Post
    ......I have always squeegeed my film with a pre-moistened sponge squeegee (Yankee)after using Photo-Flo for 2 minutes. I have yet (40 years) to get any scratches from the sponge. I do soak the sponge squeegee for 10-15 minutes first....... I do use a hardening fixer. My film dries faster and cleaner.
    Exactly my procedure. Let the sponge touch very lightly the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tried once, that was enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guess how I found out why you shouldn't squeegee a film? All that's needed is a small amount of care at final rinse stage, and the last rinse to be purified or distilled water. I never throw negs away, even unprintable ones, so I still have a reminder in my 1970s file, with a stonking great tramline, to remind me of my folly as a tyro. I think it's good evidence that just taking care of the water quality in the final rinse is what counts, that I live in a very hard water area, where kettles and coffee makers need regular de-scaling, yet my negs never have stains or drying marks. I do give the film a good final shake (in the reel), and although on the odd occasion where I haven't used a few drops of wetting agent the film has still been fine on drying, I do normally use wetting agent. Almost through supersition.
    Alex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin