Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 895

View Poll Results: Do you use a Sqeegee on your negs?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 15.91%
  • Somtimes

14 7.95%
  • No

130 73.86%
  • A what?

4 2.27%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I first started all this black and white stuff, my school had us each buy a big box of green photo-wipes on the supply list. I used these for several years before they ran out. I never replaced them and now I just hang dry. I haven't had a problem either way.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used my fingers a couple of times to squeegee film under the advice of my photography instructor. I didn't notice any increased number of scratches, but the water spots were terrible even with Photo-Flo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your water spots were due to the water content, then Photo-Flo wouldn't help anyway. Photo-Flo and the like are aids to even drying, they don't take away any salts and the like which may be dissolved in the water. My water supply is pretty heavy with dissolved stuff like chalk, and that's why I use distilled or soft water for final rinses. I do occasionally use a wetting agent (the Ilford one), but it doesn't seem to make much difference one way or another, the real difference is in the purity of the final rinse water.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    squeegeeing film is just asking for scratches. no way.

use a little detergent (photo-flo) and the water rolls off the film without leaving spots. if you're having trouble with the water try filtering it first using a brita filter or something, or use distilled water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm new to B&W developing, but don't have a squeegee as I have heard the warnings.

I live in UK with hard water so drying marks are a problem. I've tried using fingers but that makes things worse. I've started using a supply of distilled water from a dehumidifier after using wetting agent and this helps but is not perfect so I just clean the negs up when they're dry with a damp cotton bud & chamois.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try paper towels, folded over and wrapped around the film. It seriously works.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can tell you what NOT to wipe your negatives with: The Sham-Wow. You'll be saying "Sham-Dammit". Or worse. Little blue fibers everywhere....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to use a sqeegee on my negatives till I lost it, now I just use my fingers.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Donkey's years back I bought a couple of those "photographic" sponges from a mail order place. I've used them ever since on roll film. Soaked and squeezed out, they're kept in a ziploc bag and taken out only when I hang the film. If I do more than one run the sponges go back in the ziploc until needed. I'll regularly run them in the washing machine, (by themselves) and give it an additional rinse cycle. Never had any scratching problems - although I have only ever printed with colour heads. If I were using condenser heads I may be silent on the matter!! For 4x5, I hang them by the corners and leave them - every so often I'll dab off the droplet on the lower corner.

BetterSense has a good idea - but you gotta use "Bounty" - very adsorbent and no lint.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Try paper towels, folded over and wrapped around the film. It seriously works.
    I would think that paper towels are made from wood fibers and subject the negatives to scratches.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin