Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,136   Posts: 1,658,015   Online: 923
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    13
    I just had some asebstos abatement done on my house as long as asbestos material aren't broken down in a more violent way by being chipped, ground and rendered into smaller bits and powder then it's rather stable stuff. If you can remove carefully in one peice and dispose of it I wouldn't worry about it. I think dosage and repeated exposure are significant factors. It takes something like thirty years to develop asbestos related lung cancer. My house air levels were cleared to below certain federal standards and I just have to live with that. Think about the dosage of car exhaust we all breath in on a consistent level.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    143
    J Rollinger

    You are giving dangerous advice. Workers have died from a single summer job. But it does take years after exposure for the diseases to develop. Just because you did not develop it does not mean that others will not. The chances for dying from exposure is too great to take lightly. By your reasoning smoking has no potential for harm either. You were very lucky and foolish. Visit the families of the workers at Libby Montana to see that you do not have to be even a worker to be affected. Not every one that comes in contact with air borne asbestos gets the three main asbestos related diseases but who would want any of them, they are fatal.

    On the other hand you must be exposed to it in the air. Tiles are a poor example of how safe it is as unless you take a grinder to them and grind them down they pose no threat. Most people do not grind floor tiles. Asbestos encapsulated or embedded in a material and not being disturbed are generally very safe as there is no process to get the fibres air borne.

    My job includes managing the asbestos on a military base and although I have never been an asbestos worker, I have taken the asbestos awarness course and the one which has certified me to be an asbestos remover. I simply sample materials that may contain asbestos.If you actually read the information about asbestos you will see that making it airborne is NOT safe.

    If you think the washer is asbestos and wish to remove it, spray it lightly with water before you do so and remove it and place it in a plastic bag just as Kirk says. Wash your hands aftgerwards or wear gloves and wash them. When I first started my current position I submitted a work order to remove the asbestos in my former workplace, floor tile. The tile surface was wearing out and actually had a hole worn through. At the same time I did not recommend replacing the same tile in the next room as it as a storage room and the tiles are in excellent condition. In the first case the floor tile presented a danger to the worker in the room ( a photographer) and even a bigger threat to the cleaners but the second room, a photo storage posed no threat even though both had the same flooring.

    Most asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed and we enounter it in our daily lives at home or at work but when it is disturbed to be removed, the area must be sealed and workers protected. Wearing an air filter will be added protection.

    It may take 30 years to develop asbestos related diseases but it can stem from a short period of exposure like a summer job. Also being a smoker greatly increases your chances to get those diseases. Comparisions to exposure to other pollulants are misleading, some elements take many doses whereas others a single exposure.

    That all said I would remove and replace the washer if it was coming apart and I would keep it if it was totally intact.

  3. #13
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57
    Thanks for the advice. I have also worked in environments that had extensive use of asbestos. Luckily for me, most of these areas were well and truly encapsulated prior to me working there.

    Interesting to note what Red stated directly above, as this is what I did. I had to pull it apart (changing the lamp fitting which was badly corroded), so I made sure it was wet, pulled it out, placed it in a bag and disposed of it.

    Its interesting to note the many varied views of this substance. I have found many views both supporting and condemning its use…..but then again, most cigarette companies still believe that there is no medical proof that smoking causes cancer either!

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Posts
    1,088
    One way to mitigate asbestos is to isolate it. I good tape over it solvers the problem. It would be of little consequence if you left it alone. It needs to be abraded to get particles into the air. Just sitting there is does nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin