Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,458   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    The LPL I have is the 6700VCCE mine is a bit older than the one pictured on the link, but it works fine. There are a few features I like about the LPL:

1. Variable contrast lighting
    2. Universal glass negative carrier (masking blades adjust to different neg sizes and allow you to show rebate if you want). I believe the enlarger comes with a 35mm glassless carrier.
    3. Possible to correct for perspective reasonably easily.

I have a Rodagon 80mm f4 enlarger lens I use on it. I use a different enlarger for 35mm. For a 50mm lens, an f2,8 lens from Rodenstock, Schneider or Nikon will all be great. If you end up not being able to get a decent lens with your enlarger, contact me. I have 2 extra newer Schneider 50mm lenses and an older Nikon.
    Mark, I can't find your VCCE model on used markets. But I found a new one thats costs $900 which include 1 lens and 1 negative carrier. I think it is still a good deal. But that Universal Glass negative carrier is very expensive IMO. May I know why you use it since you have another enlarger for 35mm? Is it because there is flatness issue with LPL 6x6 glassless negative carrier? Lastly, what is your opinion on using LPL color enlarger for B&W?

Ikhwan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by palec View Post
    Focomat IIc is not that good for 35mm, you can't swap the lens for newer ones and you have to live with 60mm Focotar which is pretty average lens. And for enlargments over 12x16 the autofocus does not work. But it's very robust enlarger and some way joy to use.
    Don't know about the llc but the autofocus can be recalibrated on the lc by the user. The AF is also set up for a 1" thick easel so it must be adjusted anyway.
    The adjustment between 90 & 100mm is minimal.

On the cold light you could use a step down transformer but it would have to have the capacity to handle the power needed for the head.
    The Zone Vl head I've got says nothing on the head besides the brand name. Yes, the transformer(?) is built into the head but I don't know if it's stabilized.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Don't know about the llc but the autofocus can be recalibrated on the lc by the user. The AF is also set up for a 1" thick easel so it must be adjusted anyway.
    The adjustment between 90 & 100mm is minimal.

On the cold light you could use a step down transformer but it would have to have the capacity to handle the power needed for the head.
    The Zone Vl head I've got says nothing on the head besides the brand name. Yes, the transformer(?) is built into the head but I don't know if it's stabilized.
    Hi John

That's great if the AF can be recallibrated for larger enlargement. Are you using Ic? What lens do you use and how do you like it?

Sorry but I dont understand your second paragraph. Are you saying you can use Zone VI cold light head on IIc?

Much thanks
    Ikhwan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikhwan View Post
    Mark, I can't find your VCCE model on used markets. But I found a new one thats costs $900 which include 1 lens and 1 negative carrier. I think it is still a good deal. But that Universal Glass negative carrier is very expensive IMO. May I know why you use it since you have another enlarger for 35mm? Is it because there is flatness issue with LPL 6x6 glassless negative carrier? Lastly, what is your opinion on using LPL color enlarger for B&W?

Ikhwan
    The reason is that I already had a Leitz V35 enlarger with a color head. It is also an incredible enlarger, but only goes to 35mm. Now that I have the LPL, I could get rid of the Leitz, but it is really nice to use and I have the room and it. (I actually have a D2 in there for 4x5 also.....yes, I do have a problem (: ) The Leitz has a color head and it works fine for BW. Color enlargers are much easier to find than VC enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ikwhan,
    I have used both Nikkor and Leitz lenses on the lc & on close inspection couldn't note a significant difference. The Nikkor being a 2.8 gave a brighter image on the easel but it made no difference because of the autofocus. I've used both a Leitz easel(1" thick) and Saunders(~3/16"?) by adjusting the focus to the easel.
    I eventually went back to the focotar, no particular reason, just personal preference.

Regarding the cold light, no I've not used it on a lc but believe there was one made for it once upon a time. The suggestion I was making was that it should only require a step-down transformer for it to work.
    The current demand of the lamp will probably be beyond the capabilities of most electronic timers. You can eliminate this problem by using an analog timer like the time-o-lite M-59 or similar. Another way would to have an electronic timer drive an external relay to control the cold lite.
    The focomat only needs the proper bulb & wall plug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    ikwhan,
    I have used both Nikkor and Leitz lenses on the lc & on close inspection couldn't note a significant difference. The Nikkor being a 2.8 gave a brighter image on the easel but it made no difference because of the autofocus. I've used both a Leitz easel(1" thick) and Saunders(~3/16"?) by adjusting the focus to the easel.
    I eventually went back to the focotar, no particular reason, just personal preference.

Regarding the cold light, no I've not used it on a lc but believe there was one made for it once upon a time. The suggestion I was making was that it should only require a step-down transformer for it to work.
    The current demand of the lamp will probably be beyond the capabilities of most electronic timers. You can eliminate this problem by using an analog timer like the time-o-lite M-59 or similar. Another way would to have an electronic timer drive an external relay to control the cold lite.
    The focomat only needs the proper bulb & wall plug.
    Thanks John for sharing your experience and valuable information. I am really glad to hear that Leitz lenses is still on par with modern lenses. Anyway, about Zone VI head, it seems to me that using cold light head is too much of hassle, too much accessories; stabilizer, timer, transformer. I'm glad to know that Michael Kenna and Ralph Gibson both use old condensor head and still able to make very beautiful prints. Btw, since you speak about timer, I am interested to use the Focomat with RH Designs Analyser, but not sure whether it is compatible? I've just sent an email to RH regarding this. But anyway, analogue timer is already good enough for me, right? because I am just beginning to learn and I have absolute zero experience with enlarging/ printing. All I have is this forum, internet and books. I'll find that Time-O-Lite M-59, but what about that GraLab timer? I have seen many of those on eBay. Why are they so popular and expensive?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ikwhan,
    The Gralab can time up to 60 minutes so it is nice for film and paper developing or timing other functions like fixing, washing.

The work equally well on an enlarger, controlling the on/off cycle of the lamp when plugged into it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    ikwhan,
    The Gralab can time up to 60 minutes so it is nice for film and paper developing or timing other functions like fixing, washing.

The work equally well on an enlarger, controlling the on/off cycle of the lamp when plugged into it.
    Thanks Fotch! I do need a timer for developing and fixing as well. But it's quite expensive than Time-O-Lite. I wonder what is Time-O-Lite timing limits?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There may be something similar to the time-o-lite where you are?
    Where are you?
    Time-o-lite M59 is a 60 second timer, mechanical and self resetting.
    Gralab 300 is a 60 minute timer and does not reset.
    Gralab 400 is a 60 second self resting like the M59.
    For processing timers many people use kitchen timers available at the local big box store. Look for the programable variety, you're just looking for minutes not milliseconds. Usually you want three steps-dev, stop & fix. Two would do since stop is on the order of a few seconds(15-30).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Gralab has an adjustable buzzer to alert you to the finish, otherwise, a quartz wall clock has both minutes and seconds and will work also. Or a stop watch.

Perhaps an electronic timer from Radio Shack or similar is another alternative.

The Gralab has glow in the dark numerals which also help if you in the dark rather than using a daylight tank.

I cannot relate to cost in your situation, in mine, I have owned 2 of them (purchase new), for about 35 years and they work as new still.

On eBay, in the USA, I think I have seen them sale for less than $20 sometimes. Shipping is extra.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin