Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,927   Online: 995

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill, I have a Mk4 504 and have both an 80 and 105mm enlarging lenses.

How big a print are you likely to want to try - I can try on mine and see what coverage you get with each lens if you want

I can do slighly larger than 20x24 on the baseboard with a 5x4 neg and a 150mm Schneider Componon S but have never tried the 6x6 and the shorter lenses at the top of the column.

Anscojohn has a very good point - all things being equal - going to a longer focal lenght lens gives less performance drop off towards the corners with smaller format negatives

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I use either a 5.6 90 mm VHE Vivitar (Schneider-made) or a 5.6 105 Rodenstock Rodagon. My old darkroom-rat mentors insisted an oversized lens gave more even coverage and better sharpness across the image. They may have been right.
    Yes, MTF curves show both better sharpness and more even coverage, but the differences may be very small (like between 135mm and 150mm).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Bill, I have a Mk4 504 and have both an 80 and 105mm enlarging lenses.

How big a print are you likely to want to try - I can try on mine and see what coverage you get with each lens if you want

I can do slighly larger than 20x24 on the baseboard with a 5x4 neg and a 150mm Schneider Componon S but have never tried the 6x6 and the shorter lenses at the top of the column.

Anscojohn has a very good point - all things being equal - going to a longer focal lenght lens gives less performance drop off towards the corners with smaller format negatives

Martin
    I print 8x10 roughly 80% of the time, the rest 11x14. I don't have any 16x20 trays let alone an easel to hold the paper so I need a lens that can print both sizes with consistant high quality.

I am stuck on M-39 thread mount because honestly lens boards for Devere 504s are the same price of a dinner for two new. I am happy with the 80 5.5 Nikkor I am using, are there any other M-39 80mm lenses out there I should look for. I know the quality between all of them are pretty much the same.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the newish big three [Rodenstock,Scheinder and NIkon] are M39 in the 80mm focal length. The Nikon is F/5.6 while the newest ones from the others are IIRC F/4. If that matters to you. One of them makes an APO 75mm but I can't remember which.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    No, it's a beast.
    No, it's not. They are almost identical same size (51x38.5 and 51x40) and come in the same size box. The 80 weights 100g and the 105 weights 110g. No beast at all. Both lenses are very good and work well with 6x6. The 80 is advertised for up 6x7 and the 105 (as Nick said) for 6x9.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Yes, MTF curves show both better sharpness and more even coverage, but the differences may be very small (like between 135mm and 150mm).
    Please share where you found MTFs for enlarging lenses.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ralph, a couple of months ago I had a question about the differences between a 135 & 150mm Enlarging Lens

There is a heck of a price difference so I wanted to know optically what the differences were

Couldn't find it published anywhere on the Web

So, I e-mailed Rodenstock, who were very helpful and supplied the MFT information for both lenses

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Ralph, a couple of months ago I had a question about the differences between a 135 & 150mm Enlarging Lens

There is a heck of a price difference so I wanted to know optically what the differences were

Couldn't find it published anywhere on the Web

So, I e-mailed Rodenstock, who were very helpful and supplied the MFT information for both lenses

Martin
    thanks for the tip
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    The Schneider site has them for all the current enlarging lenses. Here is the 100mm for example:
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/...s_56_100_2.pdf

The Rodenstock MTF charts are here:
    http://www.butzi.net/rodenstock/rodagon/105mm.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks ic-racer!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin