Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,455   Online: 996

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question on Enlarging lenses

Having recently developed TLR madness, I started printing from 6x6 negs with a Nikkor 80 f5.6 on loan to me and I am getting great results. Problem, the owner (my brother) once moved into his new house and his darkroom set up is going to want his lens. back.

I am on a Devere 504 with a Varicon Condenser head, I have one lens board for M-39 so I really don't want an endless quest for a second lens board so what are my options for a decent enlarging lens for 6x6 provided it's M-39. I would also like to know what is the ideal focal length for printing 6x6? I have seen online anywhere from 75 to 105mm is considered ok for enlarging 6x6. I looking for some clarification so I can narrow down my search.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using an 80mm lens for 6x6 negatives. The bottom line is that there is a range of acceptable lenses that can be used. The difference in the focal length is reflected in the height of the enlarger above the easel.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any of the lenses from 80mm to 105mm will work fine with little difference between the big names, Schneider Componon-S, Rodenstock Rodagon and Nikon El-Nikkor, all 6-element lenses. The most important factor will probably be condition if you purchase used, but they can be bought very economically. I just paid less than $25 for a 105mm Rodagon and plan on tying to buy a 100mm Componon-S for about the same price to compare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 100mm Componon S for most of my prints from 6x6, but switch to an 80mm El-Nikkor when I want a bigger enlargement. I find that the 100 just gives a more convenient working distance for prints around 10x8. The Rodagons are also excellent, but the Schneider has that convenient stop down lever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    100 Componon-S for 8x8 and smaller prints and 75 Componon-S for larger prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add the final variable, I print 8x10 and 11x14 most of the time.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then I'd get a 105mm Nikon. It's M39. Will cover 6x9 if you ever go that way. Will give you more space when printing small from 6x6. It's not like your enlarger is short .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am using a durst 1200 with a 150mm lens.

When using 6x6, I use the same lens (150). I can get to 30x30cm.
    I did some tests to compair a 80mm (componon-s) with the 150(rodagon) and the 150 looks better than the 80. So using a 105 is no problem.
    The bigger the better i think...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Then I'd get a 105mm Nikon. It's M39. Will cover 6x9 if you ever go that way. Will give you more space when printing small from 6x6. It's not like your enlarger is short .
    No, it's a beast.
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Having recently developed TLR madness, I started printing from 6x6 negs with a Nikkor 80 f5.6 on loan to me and I am getting great results. Problem, the owner (my brother) once moved into his new house and his darkroom set up is going to want his lens. back.

I am on a Devere 504 with a Varicon Condenser head, I have one lens board for M-39 so I really don't want an endless quest for a second lens board so what are my options for a decent enlarging lens for 6x6 provided it's M-39. I would also like to know what is the ideal focal length for printing 6x6? I have seen online anywhere from 75 to 105mm is considered ok for enlarging 6x6. I looking for some clarification so I can narrow down my search.
    I use either a 5.6 90 mm VHE Vivitar (Schneider-made) or a 5.6 105 Rodenstock Rodagon. My old darkroom-rat mentors insisted an oversized lens gave more even coverage and better sharpness across the image. They may have been right.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin