Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,589   Online: 941

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Okay, I can't figure out what this thing is

I recently purchased a Kiev 30 and got into 16mm photography. The sets go for reasonable sorts of prices on eBay - I've had a lot of fun with it so far, picture quality is far better than I expected. But one of the accessories that came with it...I cant for the life of me figure out what it does.
    See the attached picture from ebay: The black reel sort of thing in the bottom left of the picture.
    I started out under the assumption that it was a development reel, but I cant figure out how it would work. Maybe a tool for loading the film into the cartridges? Measuring tool? Time Machine?

I suppose I can get by fine without it, but the curiosity is driving me slightly mad. I look to you, APUG, to help me sleep easier at night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1646.jpg  
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This 'black reel sort of thing' looks very much like the top reel from old soviet tank, the missing bottom reel has spiral. This particular top reel looks like modified to sink much further down towards bottom spiral to accommodate 16mm film.
    These one-spiral tanks were pretty highly regarded being easier to load and clean compared to two-spiral models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tank2.jpg  
    Last edited by werra; 09-02-2009 at 06:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Stainless Steel 16mm reels are like that, with the spiral on only one side.
    Jobo made 16mm reels, if you already have other Jobo stuff you might want to check that out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aha! that makes perfect sense now, it's half of the equation. I hadnt heard much about the 16mm development options, I just kinda dunked the first few rolls in a tank loose. Something I need to look into, thank you for the advice.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These tanks are quite common here and can be obtained for a buck or two. Shipping costs will be higher, i guess I may hunt down one for you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin