Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,549   Online: 888

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with those who prefer the old Nikor reels. I have only one 120 nikor reel which I bought in the early 1970's. I decided I needed another one, bought one which has proven to be real PITA. Buy the right one the first time and spend the extra $$. It will save a lot of grief.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got all my reels from various places, I have now probably four 120 reels. Strangely, there is one that I just can't load to save my life, it totally sucks. The others are fine. What I find most amusing is that I cannot see any physical difference between the reels, they are all cheapie Taiwanese made reels just one of them really sucks. If I was buying new, I would probably get the Hewes too since they have such a good reputation. Fortunately, I have what I need now and they load extremely well for me.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    I got all my reels from various places, I have now probably four 120 reels. Strangely, there is one that I just can't load to save my life, it totally sucks. The others are fine. What I find most amusing is that I cannot see any physical difference between the reels, they are all cheapie Taiwanese made reels just one of them really sucks. If I was buying new, I would probably get the Hewes too since they have such a good reputation. Fortunately, I have what I need now and they load extremely well for me.
    Paul, try rolling the questionable one on a flat table and watch if it appears cattywampus as it rolls (sides will be uneven).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    I too heeded internet advice and bought the Hewes at the outset. Money well spent......
    I've used many, many ss reels, and the Nikor and Hewes were always the best. If I needed a new reel today, it would be a Hewes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, I recently bought a larger tank and spent the money for a Hewes 120 reel. It's now my first choice even for a single roll. I'm not even sure why, but it's about 70% less annoying to load than my earlier reel of uncertain provenance (I did buy it new, but long ago).

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with everyone who said positive things about Hewes reels. Some years back, I bought four of the no-name 35 mm stainless reels and couldn't get them to load worth a damn. Immediately traded them in for four Hewes reels and never looked back. They are simply the best. I'm sure the other top brands are fine too, I just haven't used them. I also have a couple of no-name 120 reels that absolutely suck. But since I use the plastic tanks for 120, I haven't bothered to replace them. Eventually, I will replace the bad 120 stainless reels with Hewes items
    Frank Schifano

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not the best at planning. I started this thread, and promptly headed out of town on vacation.

So, looking back at it today I can see I'm not alone in my sentiments. The Hewes is so much better than the bargain priced reel. I will have to retrain myself to get the hang of their clip; somehow in the dark it's not intuitive to my hands. Regardless, once the film is centered and clipped on, it practically winds itself.

Funny, thirty years ago, it seemed like any old reel was well made. Not so now. The quality seems way more variable.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    Funny, thirty years ago, it seemed like any old reel was well made. Not so now. The quality seems way more variable.
    Thirty years ago where do you think the reels were being made?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't China or Taiwan.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been the same 120 reels for many, many years. The oldest were Spiratone bought in the middle 1960s. I also have other no-name; as well as Nikor and maybe a Kinderman.

I will accept what people say about today's el-cheapos. What I shall also say is that I rarely had much luck loading ANY 120 SS reel until I stopped trying to attach the film. A friend put me on to just holding the film against the central core, turning about 1/2-1/2 a turn, and allowing friction to hold the film. Ever since beginning this regime, they load just fine, that you very much.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I agree wtih you 100%. Many years ago I had a couple of US made, el-cheapo 120 stainless reels and they were fine. Over the years they were lost. I replaced them with a couple of el-cheapo 120 stainless reels of Asian manufacture. The same trick doesn't work. The new reels just plain suck. I'm afraid the only real alternative for guaranteed quality new reels is Hewes.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin