Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,191   Online: 1133

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went ahead and ordered a sheet of the 3mm thick foam from Micro-Tools. The stuff that was in there was pretty thin. I think I will removeit and put a double thickness of the 3mm stuff. If that doesn't work, I'll either use a mouse pad or weather stripping. Thnaks to all for your suggestions. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    The McMaster-Carr part no. that Richard Ritter recommended is #93085K18. It is an EPDM-type sponge rubber adhesive strip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought the 3mm from Micro tools and put a double layer and it looked great, hoowever I have a little light leak. Maybe one more layer or try something new. It is the foam that fits on the light head just above the negative carrier. I'm sur it must have been original foam. What a mess. Popsicle stick, elbow grease, denatured alcohol, glass cleaner, small vaccum cleaner and it really looked great, just leaked light. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    Home Depot has weather stripping-black foam with adhesive on one side-works great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some, which will be this afternoon's project. Thought I would try to use the "right" stuff first, before I just used what should work. The most difficult part of the project was getting the old sticky stuff off and then getting the plastic cover the light shines throug, clean. What a mess. The foam from Micro tools was good stuff, just too thin. It cut nicely on my mat cutter and installed easily. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I have some, which will be this afternoon's project. Thought I would try to use the "right" stuff first, before I just used what should work. The most difficult part of the project was getting the old sticky stuff off and then getting the plastic cover the light shines throug, clean. What a mess. The foam from Micro tools was good stuff, just too thin. It cut nicely on my mat cutter and installed easily. Bill Barber
    nsurt,Iv'd had good luck with lighter fluid ,dose not attack the paint as fast as other solvents and really dissolves the glue and sticky old foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the lighter fluid/naptha suggestion. Most of the adhesives used on self-stick stuff seems to be more readily softened and dissolved by that than alcohol-based solvents, and it's about the most benign thing I know of for most paint finishes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used denatured alcohol. It worked great. It is my lens cleaner of choice. That may make some crazy and it does work. Biill Barber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin