Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,286   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I found this tank on Ebay. I just typed in 4x5 in the search. I get bored sometimes, and looking for neat things people don't know what are is fun. If I recall, this tank was listed under storage, or something like that. It also had the most elegant description: "Film storage tank with lid".

I think I lucked out.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you processed film in it? Run some tests before doing anything important with it to be sure you're getting even development with the film and developer and agitation method you're using. My understanding is that the FR sheet film tank is much like the Yankee tank in principle, and few people get along well with the Yankee tank. There's a thread about the FR tank at the lfphoto.info forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    How much developer needed to fill the tank? how to deal with it when you just have one or two films to process?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    I paid $50 after $12 or so shipping. So almost $40 I say.

Also, I am shooting my cousins wedding (just as a favor) in 4x5 black and white, complete with flashbulbs and Speed Graphic.
    Gonna set f22 at 1/50 or so and shoot away. Old school indeed!
    Have you checked your solenoid adjust for proper flash synch?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I use FR Corp 35mm tanks and I think they are the best. They work like a charm.
    Ekta,
    Have you been around as long as those tanks have?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fink Roselieve Cut Film-Pack Developing Tank

Hi,
    I own and have used several of these with mostly good results.

The Good: Adjustable to different formats (4x5, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4), Daylight processing, also can be used to wash films or 4x5 papers.

The Bad: Some have reported uneven development (that is streaking)

The Ugly: Baklite plastic can break easily, Vintage item no longer produced, sometimes not all of the parts are included.

Some points to consider: too vigorous agitation can cause streaking, I also use a slight tipping motion at the beginning of each side-to-side agitation motion which gives satisfactory results, there is a loading guide that makes loading sheets of film about 10 times easier in the dark and this is often missing.

The first one of these that I got came with a Pacemaker Crown Graphic in 2x3 size along with the original manufacturers instructions. I really like these tanks.

Found on eBay for between $10-40.

Regards,
    Dave

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    SWEET! I just, in the mail, got a nice FR Corp. 4x5 adjustable daylight developing tank. Thick plastic. Holds 12 sheets, which is good because I only have 4 carriers at the moment. I am excited.

Everyone should have one of these.

It's got this cool double lid system, that acts as a light barrier, and liquid guide that dispenses liquid down the sides rather than across the middle of the film.
    My condolences!

After Rodinal developer, a 4x5 daylight development tank is the worst evil known to Man.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have used this tank and always had uneven development....perhaps you will have better luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Its very difficult to get even development with any of the daylight tanks. Its worth checking before you shoot lots of film. I think its called a flash test. Many years ago view camera did a survey of the various methods and I found them to be accurate.

Uneven development will show up in the skies or other very smooth areas. It won't show in things like forest scenes, where there would be no smooth gradations.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I haven't heard of the company or the tank, so I will be interested to hear further news of how you are getting along with the tank. Where did you get it?
    The tank was originally sold under the FR brand.
    When they went out it later appeared under the DORAN brand.
    I never got along with the YANKEE tank. It didn't have a loading guide as the FR did.

Francis in VT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin