Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,522   Online: 1011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lets see: To answer some question,

I don't have a solenoid. I will be using the cable. I haven't tested the tank yet, but I will be this week sometime.
    It did come with the loading guide, and I have practiced loading with test negatives. Works like a charm.

"...the worst evil known to man..."
    I have tried single sheet development, and it came out ok... of course it was a quick test using my fingers as tongs.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Correction.

Everyone should have a Jobo 2551/2553 tank, 2509 reels, Uniroller motor base and Harrison changing tent.

The FR tank is a relic from a bygone era.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used one of these. Got worried when I 1st used it because it did not work so well for many people (probably the ones that dont read the manual, or got the tank without a manual). Easy to use, no problem whatsoever, except the occasional 2 sheets inserted in the same notch. 12 sheets at a time is a time saver. I used to gather my negatives in groups according to development times, and when I get to 10/12 I process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nah, everyone should have a Phototherm

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Correction.

Everyone should have a Jobo 2551/2553 tank, 2509 reels, Uniroller motor base and Harrison changing tent.

The FR tank is a relic from a bygone era.
    Nah, everyone should have a Phototherm with the 4x5 adapter.

You load the tank, put it on the machine, and come back when it starts beeping at you. YOu can develop a thousand sheets or a thousand rolls of film exactly the same way every time.

The only downside is that the 4x5 holder is expensive, only holds 4 sheets, and I have *NEVER* seen one in an auction.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=JohnRichard;861323]Lets see: To answer some question,

I don't have a solenoid. I will be using the cable.
    The cable plugs in where to fire the shutter?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I switched over to Venchka's preferred system (Beseler motor base, not Uniroller) last year, but I used FR tanks for a number of years and had very little problem with uneven development. I found I got the best results by being sure to keep the the tank as vertical as possible during agitation (not letting the bottom swing thereby giving the bottom of the film more agitation than the top) and alternating agitation from side to side (parallel to the film slots) and front to back. The do use a whole lot of chemistry, though.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    35mm
    The Phototherm may be best. The Jobo/Uniroller/Beseler gear is cheap and readily available.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So I used this tank for the first time. It leaks like a si..v... um... siv. and it takes a TONNE of liquid. It works OK, but you need a good big sink to set it down in. I don't think I got uneven development, but I underdeveloped because I didn't have enough chems. I knew that; I was just testing anyway..

Works ok for me.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka
    The Phototherm may be best. The Jobo/Uniroller/Beseler gear is cheap and readily available.
    For a while the Phototherms were cheaper than dirt on evilbay, but they have gotten pricey recently.

They really are sweet, however. The old ones usually need a good workover. They really are a piece of pro gear, and most saw a lot of service.

Once you get them going properly they are awesome. You can only control development time in 5 second intervals. But that is fine for everything. The nice thing is that you can get 6min 35sec (or your spec) 25 times in a row, then get it again exactly 3 months later.

The precision repeatable results help clods in the darkroom like me.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 09-25-2009 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So I calculated that the tank I have takes 1500ml of liquid. That's 1400 + 100 developer for a 1+14 dilution. I find it is better to use 1+14 because with such a large tank, it is still close to the 1+9 I use with my 600ml tank (540 + 60ml). OF course I am talking about Ilford products here, which is all I use. I do find the tank leaks a LOT if you tip it. There is no rubber seal to keep liquid in. So I agitate by spinning the tank slightly.
    - J. Richard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin