Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,509   Online: 871

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JOBO 3005 and Motor Bases

I've been on a search to find a good motor base for the 3005. I had 3 bases in the cupboard. The Premier was too small for the drum. The Chromega rotated fine but it has a built in side to side wobble which seems to interfere with the internal design of the tank leading to irregular development. The Unicolor Uniroller works, but at a slow 15 rpm. I picked up a Beseler (the one with the separate reversing switch) and it rotates at 33rpm but I had to modify the keeper channel to clear the band in the middle of the drum. Hope this saves someone legwork.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Used Jobo's, i.e. the ATL or the CPE are dirt cheap now. Why not go that way?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. Do a search on ebay, THEN save the search and check off you want to be notified each day. Works like a champ if you have the time to wait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I already have a Jobo processor for everything else but it doesn't have the lift required for the 3005. A processor with lift would probably cost more than the $1 I paid for the Beseler base.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been using the 3005 on a Unicolor base for the last 3 years with great results. Mine doesn't reverse, so I flip the drum around every minute or so and so far I have never had any problems with uneven development. iIt wobbles and jiggles from side to side a little bit, but everything turns out okay.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    I already have a Jobo processor for everything else but it doesn't have the lift required for the 3005. A processor with lift would probably cost more than the $1 I paid for the Beseler base.
    In that case I'd sell the 3005 and get a 2500 series drum with 4x5 reels and $200 of extra darkroom or camera equipment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IC, the 3005 is for 8x10 (and 5x7). The 4x5 is done in 2509s in the Jobo processor. I tried the 8x10 in various other Jobo drums on the processor with uneven development results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Duh! Ok you are right (and I have a 3010, so I should know).

So for 8x10 processing I share your pain in finding a good solution. Did you see the thread I started here on the 2800 drums for 8x10. But as you said, you did not get good results with other Jobo drums.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...negatives.html
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-13-2009 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a 2500 maybe 2800 (can't remember) series size print drum to process 2 8x10's at a time and I haven't experienced problems with un evenness. I use a Jobo cpe2+. You can find print drums for the jobo pretty cheap these days. The only problem i have ever had with this system is with tri x 320 and washing in the drum. It is the only film that will occasionally leave a purple stain on the film that I need to put in some hca out of the drum in a tray to clear it up.
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trying to use the ribbed drums on the Jobo left slightly increased density lines that matched the rib pattern of the drum. This was with PMK and two different types of film. I was using a motorized tray for the 8x10 for years with perfect results, but it finally died.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin