Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,957   Online: 718

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I have two hard-rubber Kodak 4x5 tanks. I don't know what they are for; I suppose there is some kind of thing you load the film onto so that you can dip it in the tank? There doesn't look to be any provision for daylight developing.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to develop 4x5 sheets. Right now I do it one at time in trays, but it takes forever when you have a lot of film. Hours.

One at a time probably gives least chance of film damage. We used to do half a dozen sheets in a tray at a time by leafing through the sheets, taking the bottom one and putting it on top. I also found it hard to do without scratching the film. Others do a lot better, obviously.

For the tank, you use ss hangers, one for each sheet. You dunk and lift and let it sit; then lift and redunk a couple times on the minute. Unfortunately, they require total darkness until the fix. On the other hand, it is very relaxing to sit there in the dark, listening to Mozart, waiting for the timer to indicate when to agitate. Although I am a J.S. Bach devotee, Mozart does it better for me in the darkroom. Dunno why.

I made a floating lid for my tank of D23. Some people just float a sheet of saran wrap on the developer. If I am not going to soup sheet film for a while, I just pour the D23 back into my gallon jug. And sometimes I do 35 and 120 in the tanks as well. I made some dip and dunk rods from thin copper tubing bent with an L at the bottom. String the reels on them like kabobs.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=nsurit;861433] If not, why not?/QUOTE]

I use Jobo tanks. Simple,low chemical needs. Same system works for roll film. Good temp control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a couple of Jobo 2000 series tanks, these are inversion tanks and pre-date the roller vases CPE etc systems, far better than the Yankee/HP tanks (I have a Yankee), more even development, they don't leak etc. I've had the first since 1976.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, are these tanks suitable for rotational development as well? 4x5 reel seems to be fixed with the lid, but 9x12 floats around. I have developed B&W with these with great success (once using right amount of chem) but thinking to economy some chemistry with C41/E6. In rotational tanks the spiral needs to be fixed, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, as long as the tank seal is OK, the previous owner of my 2nd tank (which I use here in Turkey) used it on a roller base. It doesn't have the magnet base to couple to a Jobo system though.

You might want to look at these. They are newer and possibly better.

They are no good for 9x12. I have a Yankee tank back in the UK for them.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depends what I'm doing, but I use tanks and hangers, the Nikor stainless steel sheet film tank, or open trays.

Tanks and hangers are an excellent system for processing film in quantity, particularly if you use a replenishable developer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have two 2021 reels, one 4x5, other shortened by previous owner for 9x12 so I can do inversion development in same tank for both formats. Those 2509n reels are adjustable AFAIK.
    But in general, in rotational systems the reels are fixed in the tank or no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should be the same. Perhaps the spirals are tighter on the centre spiral but it shouldn't make mush difference.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The inner column holds the reels in place. I normally use the five reel tank for everything. 1 roll of 35/120/4x5 or a full tank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    It has been a few decades since I developed my own 4X5, however that is going to happen again before too long. Does anyone still use tanks and film hangers? If not, why not? Bill Barber
    I don't use hangers 'n tanks. Uses too much chemistry, has too many agitation issues, and isn't daylight processing.

Things have changed in the last few decades. Better tools were developed and marketed. I use a Jobo CPP-2, and a Jobo 3010 tank. Handles 10 5x4 sheets. Perfectly even development -- much better than I could do with trays or BTZS tubes. I've put thousands of sheets through this system and the few problems I've had have all been operator error, and those I can count with the fingers of one hand.

The justification for the price of the Jobo system is that I tend to take photography trips and shoot for a few weeks. The travel cost for even a two week trip is well above what I paid for the Jobo equipment (used). If I screw up in the darkroom I can't go back and remake the exposures. To make it work I need the most reliable system I can get. Which lead me to Jobo.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin