Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,504   Online: 1216

Shooter
    Medium Format

really cleaning Paterson Super System 4 reels

I am using Samigon reels which I got new that work very well (always rinsed well immediately after each use) and never gave me trouble if dried.

I have some old Paterson reels that came with a bunch of tanks from the auction site but never used them as they never loaded right. They were discolored and I assumed were never cleaned appropriately.

Now that I want to try stand development, I need more reels as the tank/reels will need to sit for upwards of an hour.

How do I clean the old reels? Can I boil them or put them in the dishwasher? Do I need to use any solvent or vinegar while I try to scrub them with a toothbrush?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Paterson reels that are over 35 years old, when they were new they were kind of transleucent but over the years have turned a light brown. They have actually shrank a bit but I still perfer them for 120 film. My newer ones which are only 25 years old are of the solid white plastic and so far haven't shrank any. I've not had any problem with gunk buildup on any of them probably because I always rinse them in hot water after use. To answer you question, yes you can put them in the dishwasher. I personally woundn't boil them as they may warp from the heat. A good scrubbing with a toothbrush and any good cleaner like Comet, Bon-Ami, or even toothpaste should clean them up just fine, just be sure to rinse well and rewash them with soapy water to remove any grit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I left mine in a dilute solution of household bleach overnight, and it cleaned them up considerably without doing them any harm.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't boil them they will distort, I know from experience

Do as johhnywalker says bleach them, also try soaking in washing powder (used for clothes) and scrub with a tooth brush. They last for years many of mine are 30-40 years old. I have so many I clean like that every couple of years or so, but if you only have one or two every 6 months to a year is better.

They build up gelatin on the reels, this gets sticky and may also collect wetting agent, pay attention to the ball bearing areas as these gets clogged sometimes and if they don't move freely it's more difficult to load them.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Overnight in strong washing soda or if this does not work in caustic soda solution.

Toothbrush will work but may scratch the surface and create more deposit s in future.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put my Paterson reels in the dishwasher periodically, but I make sure they are on the top rack, away from the water heating elements. I also wash the Jobo 4x5 and the 120/220 reels at the same time. I put my SS reels & tanks in the same dishwasher run on the bottom rack.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin